Re: [govtrack] Changes in subject terms (what to do?)

  • Cindy Sue Causey
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 3, 2009
      On 4/3/09, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
      > For the moment I've manually put the info in XML and it won't be updated
      > regularly. (I wouldn't mind some help getting a scraper for it!)
      >
      > But, this raises some questions. Lots of people have subscribed to the
      > old terms on GovTrack that don't all carry over. What do I do?
      >
      > I could attempt to automatically classify new bills with old terms, but
      > I don't think this is going to make it onto the priority list. It would
      > be a nice project for a CS student.

      Apologies as I remain *seriously* out of my element in this type of
      topic.. But..

      In the same way that pics that have been pulled for violation or
      whatever are replaced with one saying user and/or offender needs to do
      yadda, yadda, yadda to fill the void with something valid, is there
      some way to send a polite textual message that says info formally here
      became outdated or will soon become outdated so yadda, yadda action is
      necessary to continue..? The verbiage could additionally advise users
      to let affected site webmasters know if the end users are the ones
      encountering said message..

      Considering the volume this must affect, I know.. Not ideal.. At first
      I was thinking redirects, but also immediately then realized that wrt
      how api functions, maybe not feasible under those circumstances..

      Sorry I can't put it more technically.. Am trying my dogdest to
      finally catch up to speed with you all.. You mentioned CS student..
      Perhaps this might finally make for a nice entry project for an
      eldering geek(ette)..?

      Cindy :)

      - :: -
      Olmstead Decision * 10 Years * June 22, 2009

      http://claimid.com/Butterfly
      Georgia Voices That Count, 2005
      Talking Rock, GA, USA
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        On 04/03/2009 05:45 PM, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
        > some way to send a polite textual message that says info formally here
        > became outdated or will soon become outdated so yadda, yadda action is

        Okay, I've added something like that to the site in a few places.

        > I was thinking redirects

        It might be technically feasible but I don't know what to redirect
        people *to*.

        (I also had in mind that the raw data that goes out to other sites is
        going to have the same issues down-stream.)

        > Perhaps this might finally make for a nice entry project for an
        > eldering geek(ette)..?

        I was thinking about automated classification of text with some machine
        learning tools. There are probably some other things a bit better for
        getting your feet wet --- drop me a note if you're serious about it.

        Thanks.