Re: [govtrack] Best API for getting congressional bills?

  • R. Pito Salas
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
      Josh

      Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from. I could indeed build it myself if that data is readily available...

      Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?

      Either way, it would certainly be feasible.

      The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site and then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is subobtimal...

      -- Pito
      On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:

      This might be one of those things where you can build it yourself if you
      need it. :) GovTrack is open source so...

      If you are only looking in the past so-many days, you could use an
      events feed, which I don't consider an API but you might still get away
      with it:
      http://www.govtrack .us/users/ events.xpd? monitors= misc%3aintroduce dbills

      http://razor. occams.info

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
        > Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from.

        It comes from a mess.

        See http://govtrack.us/developers/data.xpd.

        > Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?

        That's possible too.

        > The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site
        > and then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is
        > subobtimal...

        No, no, you should never have to scrape GovTrack. You can get bill info
        in XML if you know the bill number. See the link above.

        Josh
      • Neil Drumm
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
          On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM, R. Pito Salas <rps@...> wrote:
          > Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from. I
          > could indeed build it myself if that data is readily available...
          > Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?
          > Either way, it would certainly be feasible.
          > The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site and
          > then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is
          > subobtimal...

          This is what I do with Legislature module for Drupal. Download XML
          lists of everything on a schedule, and queue anything possible. In a
          few hours, the SQL database is complete and be queried for whatever is
          needed. This is good since I do want a database of everything. The
          module does use a RSS feed of recent votes to get updates throughout
          the day, which is fine even if it is not a proper API, the related XML
          is in predictable places.

          You can rsync to copy/update all the XML files at once. This may help
          with batch processing.

          There is the RDF API, http://www.govtrack.us/developers/rdf.xpd. I
          haven't used it, but it might be
          possible to retrieve the specific data you need with a SPARQL query.

          -Neil

          --
          Neil Drumm
          http://delocalizedham.com