Re: [govtrack] Best API for getting congressional bills?

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
      This might be one of those things where you can build it yourself if you
      need it. :) GovTrack is open source so...

      If you are only looking in the past so-many days, you could use an
      events feed, which I don't consider an API but you might still get away
      with it:
      http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=misc%3aintroducedbills

      On 03/26/2009 04:11 PM, pito wrote:
      > For some reason I thought that govtrack.us had an api where I could
      > lookup info on bills.
      >
      > Specifically, I am interested in being to get information about house
      > and senate bills 'submitted' over a date range (e.g. over the last 7
      > days)
      >
      > The closest govtrack.us api I can find is: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billsearch_api.xpd?q=iraq+war
      >
      > Does anyone know of other parameters that can be tacked on other than ?q=iraq+war? Because as it is above, I don't know how I could get all the bills dated sometime in the last 7 days.
      >
      > And any other APIs that anyone is aware of for this purpose?
      >
      > -- Pito

    • R. Pito Salas
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
        Josh

        Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from. I could indeed build it myself if that data is readily available...

        Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?

        Either way, it would certainly be feasible.

        The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site and then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is subobtimal...

        -- Pito

        http://razor. occams.info

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
          > Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from.

          It comes from a mess.

          See http://govtrack.us/developers/data.xpd.

          > Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?

          That's possible too.

          > The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site
          > and then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is
          > subobtimal...

          No, no, you should never have to scrape GovTrack. You can get bill info
          in XML if you know the bill number. See the link above.

          Josh
        • Neil Drumm
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2009
            On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:33 PM, R. Pito Salas <rps@...> wrote:
            > Thanks... I haven't looked into where govtrack.us's raw data comes from. I
            > could indeed build it myself if that data is readily available...
            > Or do you mean downloading the databases from your server and querying that?
            > Either way, it would certainly be feasible.
            > The problem with the feed is that I get back urls to a page on your site and
            > then I'd have to scrape that page to get the data I want which is
            > subobtimal...

            This is what I do with Legislature module for Drupal. Download XML
            lists of everything on a schedule, and queue anything possible. In a
            few hours, the SQL database is complete and be queried for whatever is
            needed. This is good since I do want a database of everything. The
            module does use a RSS feed of recent votes to get updates throughout
            the day, which is fine even if it is not a proper API, the related XML
            is in predictable places.

            You can rsync to copy/update all the XML files at once. This may help
            with batch processing.

            There is the RDF API, http://www.govtrack.us/developers/rdf.xpd. I
            haven't used it, but it might be
            possible to retrieve the specific data you need with a SPARQL query.

            -Neil

            --
            Neil Drumm
            http://delocalizedham.com