Re: [govtrack] State Govtrack Instances

  • Neil Drumm
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
      The Legislature module for Drupal,
      http://drupal.org/project/legislature, is designed to handle
      importing/scraping from any jurisdiction. U.S. Congress is the only
      complete jurisdiction, state legislatures and cities will be added as
      MAPLight and/or others develop them.

      It is designed to get data from the internet, and recently a few CSV
      imports, and put it in your local MySQL or Postgres database. Other
      Drupal modules display and use the data. Providing XML similar to
      GovTrack is certainly possible. It is Drupal 5 only.

      -Neil

      --
      Neil Drumm
      http://delocalizedham.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
        Jeff,

        I have plans to start collecting that data for a different project
        and, while I'm at it, contribute it back to Govtrack. If you decide to
        move forward on it, let me know. I'd certainly like to collaborate
        with you.

        Dave

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Craig <foxxtrot@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone begun any projects to port the govtrack system to
        tracking any state legislatures? As a Washhington state resident (and
        state employee), I'm interested in tracking the activites of the
        state. If anyone has embarked on such a project, I would like to help.
        If not, I'm likely to start working on it myself.

        > Jeff Craig

      • Daniel Lathrop
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
          There is already a  great group working to do Legislative data at the state and local level across the country, Knowledge As Power. KAP's first proof-of-concept-beta last year was Washington state, and they're about to crank into gear for the new session having just gotten enough money to move forward.

          Their Web site is KnowledgeAsPower.org and I would strongly recommend anyone doing work in that space in Washington State get in touch with them.

          Daniel Lathrop
          Seattle Post-Intelligencer

          --
          Daniel Lathrop
          Investigative Reporter
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
            Daniel,

            Thanks for the information. I'll have to get in touch with KAP. Do you know if they are going to continue focusing on Washington state this year or if there are plans on expanding in the near future?

            Dave

            --
            Daniel Lathrop
            Investigative Reporter

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
              Daniel Lathrop wrote:
              > There is already a great group working to do Legislative data at the
              > state and local level across the country, Knowledge As Power. KAP's
              > first proof-of-concept-beta last year was Washington state, and they're
              > about to crank into gear for the new session having just gotten enough
              > money to move forward.
              >
              > Their Web site is KnowledgeAsPower.org and I would strongly recommend
              > anyone doing work in that space in Washington State get in touch with them.

              It would be great if someone would put together a list of legislation
              tracking websites for all 50 states and territories.

            • Aaron Swartz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009

                Check out the parliamentary informatics article on Wikipedia.

                On Jan 19, 2009 9:12 AM, "Josh Tauberer" <tauberer@...> wrote:

                Daniel Lathrop wrote: > There is already a great group working to do Legislative data at the > sta...

                It would be great if someone would put together a list of legislation
                tracking websites for all 50 states and territories.

                "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation!  Yields