State Govtrack Instances

  • Jeff Craig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
      Has anyone begun any projects to port the govtrack system to tracking any state legislatures? As a Washhington state resident (and state employee), I'm interested in tracking the activites of the state. If anyone has embarked on such a project, I would like to help. If not, I'm likely to start working on it myself.

      Jeff Craig
    • Neil Drumm
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
        The Legislature module for Drupal,
        http://drupal.org/project/legislature, is designed to handle
        importing/scraping from any jurisdiction. U.S. Congress is the only
        complete jurisdiction, state legislatures and cities will be added as
        MAPLight and/or others develop them.

        It is designed to get data from the internet, and recently a few CSV
        imports, and put it in your local MySQL or Postgres database. Other
        Drupal modules display and use the data. Providing XML similar to
        GovTrack is certainly possible. It is Drupal 5 only.

        -Neil

        --
        Neil Drumm
        http://delocalizedham.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
          Jeff,

          I have plans to start collecting that data for a different project
          and, while I'm at it, contribute it back to Govtrack. If you decide to
          move forward on it, let me know. I'd certainly like to collaborate
          with you.

          Dave

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Craig <foxxtrot@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone begun any projects to port the govtrack system to
          tracking any state legislatures? As a Washhington state resident (and
          state employee), I'm interested in tracking the activites of the
          state. If anyone has embarked on such a project, I would like to help.
          If not, I'm likely to start working on it myself.

          > Jeff Craig

        • Daniel Lathrop
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 17, 2009
            There is already a  great group working to do Legislative data at the state and local level across the country, Knowledge As Power. KAP's first proof-of-concept-beta last year was Washington state, and they're about to crank into gear for the new session having just gotten enough money to move forward.

            Their Web site is KnowledgeAsPower.org and I would strongly recommend anyone doing work in that space in Washington State get in touch with them.

            Daniel Lathrop
            Seattle Post-Intelligencer

            --
            Daniel Lathrop
            Investigative Reporter
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 18, 2009
              Daniel,

              Thanks for the information. I'll have to get in touch with KAP. Do you know if they are going to continue focusing on Washington state this year or if there are plans on expanding in the near future?

              Dave

              --
              Daniel Lathrop
              Investigative Reporter

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009
                Daniel Lathrop wrote:
                > There is already a great group working to do Legislative data at the
                > state and local level across the country, Knowledge As Power. KAP's
                > first proof-of-concept-beta last year was Washington state, and they're
                > about to crank into gear for the new session having just gotten enough
                > money to move forward.
                >
                > Their Web site is KnowledgeAsPower.org and I would strongly recommend
                > anyone doing work in that space in Washington State get in touch with them.

                It would be great if someone would put together a list of legislation
                tracking websites for all 50 states and territories.

              • Aaron Swartz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 19, 2009

                  Check out the parliamentary informatics article on Wikipedia.

                  On Jan 19, 2009 9:12 AM, "Josh Tauberer" <tauberer@...> wrote:

                  Daniel Lathrop wrote: > There is already a great group working to do Legislative data at the > sta...

                  It would be great if someone would put together a list of legislation
                  tracking websites for all 50 states and territories.

                  "Yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation!  Yields