Re: Track YouTube Videos on GovTrack

  • jlundigard
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 15, 2009
      Josh,

      Andy from OpenCongress here. Just have a quick question about the YouTube
      integration.

      We, too, are integrating with metavid and YouTube. Just wondering how you're pulling the
      data from the individual Member's YouTube channels (or if you're doing that at all). If so,
      did you have a script or scraper compile the list of the Member's channel URLs? Will you
      be adding the youtube channel URL to the people.xml file?

      If not, we have a full list of the Member's YouTube channel URLs, and can make a CSV with
      the Member's govtrack ID and associated URL if this would be helpful to you (obviously,
      we don't want to waste the time to do this if you've already done it).

      Thanks for your help.

      -Andy

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
        jlundigard wrote:
        > Andy from OpenCongress here. Just have a quick question about the YouTube
        > integration.
        >
        > We, too, are integrating with metavid and YouTube. Just wondering how you're pulling the
        > data from the individual Member's YouTube channels (or if you're doing that at all). If so,
        > did you have a script or scraper compile the list of the Member's channel URLs? Will you
        > be adding the youtube channel URL to the people.xml file?
        >
        > If not, we have a full list of the Member's YouTube channel URLs, and can make a CSV with
        > the Member's govtrack ID and associated URL if this would be helpful to you (obviously,
        > we don't want to waste the time to do this if you've already done it).

        I've done it and will add it to people.xml when I get a chance.

      • Joe Germuska
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
          On Jan 15, 2009, at 3:06 PM, jlundigard wrote:
          > If not, we have a full list of the Member's YouTube channel URLs,
          > and can make a CSV with
          > the Member's govtrack ID and associated URL if this would be helpful
          > to you (obviously,
          > we don't want to waste the time to do this if you've already done it).

          The YouTube URLs and GovTrack IDs are in the Sunlight data dump at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/media/apidump.csv.gz
          (see also http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/)

          There do appear to be a few holes. I haven't looked beyond seeing
          that some people they mark as "in office" don't have GovTrack IDs.

          Joe

          --
          Joe Germuska
          Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

          "I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
          -- Sly Stone
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009
            Joe Germuska wrote:
            > On Jan 15, 2009, at 3:06 PM, jlundigard wrote:
            >> If not, we have a full list of the Member's YouTube channel URLs,
            >> and can make a CSV with
            >> the Member's govtrack ID and associated URL if this would be helpful
            >> to you (obviously,
            >> we don't want to waste the time to do this if you've already done it).
            >

            > The YouTube URLs and GovTrack IDs are in the Sunlight data dump at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/media/apidump.csv.gz
            > (see also http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/)
            >
            > There do appear to be a few holes. I haven't looked beyond seeing
            > that some people they mark as "in office" don't have GovTrack IDs.

            FYI to all,

            My people.xml file now has youtubeids.

          • Andrew Ross
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2009