Re: [govtrack] people.xml potential data format change

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2008
      Joe Germuska wrote:
      > On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
      >> If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
      >> characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
      >> instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?
      >

      > Assuming that you make this change

      I've just made the change. The lastname and name attributes are affected.

      > (and I'm a firm believer in getting
      > character encodings clear from the beginning), I'd encourage you also
      > to make explicit the encoding in the XML declaration.

      Well, I've got XML files throughout the site and don't want to start
      redoing all of them... Without a BOM or explicit encoding, it's always
      UTF-8 right? Seems simple enough.

      All of my files are (intended to be) UTF-8 encoded. After many years of
      struggling with UTF-8 in Perl, it's still tricky for me to get it right.