Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • scottyrockit
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
      You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
      wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
      of life ! I can feel you
      ---
      In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

      > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
      assume will be
      > kept up to date when the transition happens.
      > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
      >
      > Justin Palmer
      > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
      >
      > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
      >
      > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
      > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
      HTML file
      > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
      which will
      > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
      > >
      > > Joe
      > >

      > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
      > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
      > >
      > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
      > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
      House.
      > > To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
      > > Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 9:48 AM
      > >
      > > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
      > > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO
      which
      > > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...
      > >
      > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com <govtrack%
      40yahoogroups.com>, "Neil

      com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
        Joe Carmel wrote:
        > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
        > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
        > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
        > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

        Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

        I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
        http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

        The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
        CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
        CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
        Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

        And it's currently updating this:

        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
        CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

        which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
        second).

        An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
        numbers last I checked.

      • Derek Willis
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
          On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
          >
          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
          > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
          >
          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
          > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
          > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

          There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
          member of the House)

          > And it's currently updating this:
          >
          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
          > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
          >
          > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
          > second).
          >
          > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
          > numbers last I checked.

          Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
          redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
          biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
          that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
          Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

          http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

          Derek
          --
          Derek Willis