Re: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • Justin Palmer
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
      You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

      Justin Palmer
      http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

      On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

      A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
        You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
        wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
        of life ! I can feel you
        ---
        In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

        > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
        assume will be
        > kept up to date when the transition happens.
        > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
        >
        > Justin Palmer
        > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
        >
        > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
        >
        > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
        > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
        HTML file
        > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
        which will
        > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
        > >
        > > Joe
        > >

        > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
        > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
        > >
        > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
        > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
        House.
        > > To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
        > > Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 9:48 AM
        > >
        > > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
        > > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO
        which
        > > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...
        > >
        > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com <govtrack%
        40yahoogroups.com>, "Neil

        com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

        > > > -Neil

      • scottyrockit
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
            Joe Carmel wrote:
            > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
            > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
            > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
            > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

            Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

            I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
            http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

            The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
            CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
            CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
            Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

            And it's currently updating this:

            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
            CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

            which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
            second).

            An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
            numbers last I checked.

          • Derek Willis
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
              On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
              > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
              >
              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
              > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
              >
              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
              > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
              > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

              There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
              member of the House)

              > And it's currently updating this:
              >
              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
              > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
              >
              > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
              > second).
              >
              > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
              > numbers last I checked.

              Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
              redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
              biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
              that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
              Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

              http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

              Derek
              --
              Derek Willis