Re: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • Derek Willis
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
      This isn't completely accurate - the House roll call XML files have
      the bioguide IDs in them. Do a view source on this page, for example:

      http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll683.xml

      But there is no single list of current members that gets updated
      regularly that includes the bioguide IDs.

      Derek Willis

      On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
      Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...> wrote:
      > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
      > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
      > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......
      >
      > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
      >> at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
      >>
      >> -Neil

      Derek Willis
      dwillis@...
      http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
    • Justin Palmer
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
        You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

        Justin Palmer
        http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

        On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

        A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

        Joe

        I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
        there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
        gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

        > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
        > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
        >
        > -Neil

      • scottyrockit
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
          You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
          wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
          of life ! I can feel you
          ---
          In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

          > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
          assume will be
          > kept up to date when the transition happens.
          > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
          >
          > Justin Palmer
          > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
          >
          > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
          > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
          HTML file
          > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
          which will
          > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
          > >
          > > Joe
          > >

          > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
          > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
          > >
          > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
          > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
          House.
          > > To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
          > > Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 9:48 AM
          > >
          > > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
          > > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO
          which
          > > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...
          > >
          > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com <govtrack%
          40yahoogroups.com>, "Neil

          com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

          > > > -Neil

        • scottyrockit
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
              Joe Carmel wrote:
              > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
              > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
              > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
              > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

              Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

              I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
              http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

              The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
              CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
              CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
              Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

              And it's currently updating this:

              http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
              CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

              which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
              second).

              An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
              numbers last I checked.

            • Derek Willis
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
                > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
                >
                > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
                >
                > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
                member of the House)

                > And it's currently updating this:
                >
                > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
                >
                > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                > second).
                >
                > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                > numbers last I checked.

                Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
                redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
                biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
                that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
                Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

                http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

                Derek
                --
                Derek Willis