Re: people.xml potential data format change

  • Kevin Henry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
      That shouldn't be a problem for whereabill.org (assuming that the
      character encoding is still ISO-8859-1), but maybe you can make
      another announcement when you actually make the change so I can
      double-check?

      Kevin

      > If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
      > characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
      > instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?

      > - GovTrack.us

      > Tortoise (in "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter)

    • Joe Germuska
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
        On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
        > If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
        > characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
        > instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?

        Assuming that you make this change (and I'm a firm believer in getting
        character encodings clear from the beginning), I'd encourage you also
        to make explicit the encoding in the XML declaration. While the rules
        are well defined for how XML tools should determine the encoding when
        it is omitted (http://www.opentag.com/xfaq_enc.htm#enc_default), it
        will be easier for everyone if it's explicit.

        I say this because over the last several months I've had a lot of
        headache wrestling with a vendor's XML which didn't exactly conform to
        those rules.

        Joe

        --
        Joe Germuska
        Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

        "I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
        -- Sly Stone
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2008
          Joe Germuska wrote:
          > On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
          >> If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
          >> characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
          >> instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?
          >

          > Assuming that you make this change

          I've just made the change. The lastname and name attributes are affected.

          > (and I'm a firm believer in getting
          > character encodings clear from the beginning), I'd encourage you also
          > to make explicit the encoding in the XML declaration.

          Well, I've got XML files throughout the site and don't want to start
          redoing all of them... Without a BOM or explicit encoding, it's always
          UTF-8 right? Seems simple enough.

          All of my files are (intended to be) UTF-8 encoded. After many years of
          struggling with UTF-8 in Perl, it's still tricky for me to get it right.