Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • scottyrockit
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

      > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
      > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
      >
      > -Neil
      >
      > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
      > Pogadadanda nlakkakula@... wrote:
      > > Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
      > > representatives I could get in different formats at
      > > http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html
      > >
      > > The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....
      > >
      > > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml
      update
      > > to date...
      > >
      > > thanks
      > >

      > --
      > Neil Drumm
      > http://delocalizedham.com

      So I'm back in the saddle again and things will be different when I'm in
      San Diego.
    • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
        I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
        there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
        gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......

        --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

        > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
        > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
        >
        > -Neil
      • Derek Willis
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
          This isn't completely accurate - the House roll call XML files have
          the bioguide IDs in them. Do a view source on this page, for example:

          http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll683.xml

          But there is no single list of current members that gets updated
          regularly that includes the bioguide IDs.

          Derek Willis

          On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
          Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...> wrote:
          > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
          > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
          > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......
          >
          > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
          >> at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
          >>
          >> -Neil

          Derek Willis
          dwillis@...
          http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
        • Joe Carmel
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
            A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

            Joe

            I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
            there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
            gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

            > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
            > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
            >
            > -Neil

          • Justin Palmer
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
              You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

              Justin Palmer
              http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

              On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

              A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

              Joe

              I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
              there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
              gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

              --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

              > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
              > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
              >
              > -Neil

            • scottyrockit
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
                wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
                of life ! I can feel you
                ---
                In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

                > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
                assume will be
                > kept up to date when the transition happens.
                > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
                >
                > Justin Palmer
                > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
                >
                > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
                >
                > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
                HTML file
                > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
                which will
                > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
                > >
                > > Joe
                > >

                > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
                > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
                > >
                > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
                > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
                House.

                com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

                > > > -Neil

              • scottyrockit
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                    Joe Carmel wrote:
                    > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                    > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
                    > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
                    > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                    Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

                    I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
                    http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

                    The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

                    http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                    CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

                    http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                    CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                    Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                    And it's currently updating this:

                    http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                    CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

                    which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                    second).

                    An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                    numbers last I checked.

                  • Derek Willis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                      On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
                      > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
                      >
                      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                      > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
                      >
                      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                      > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                      > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                      There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
                      member of the House)

                      > And it's currently updating this:
                      >
                      > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                      > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
                      >
                      > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                      > second).
                      >
                      > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                      > numbers last I checked.

                      Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
                      redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
                      biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
                      that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
                      Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

                      http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

                      Derek
                      --
                      Derek Willis