Re: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • Neil Drumm
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
      If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
      at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.

      -Neil

      --
      Neil Drumm
      http://delocalizedham.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
        Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda wrote:
        > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml update
        > to date...

        I now update it by hand.

        It was initially generated from a few data sources.

      • scottyrockit
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

          > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
          > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
          >
          > -Neil
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
          > Pogadadanda nlakkakula@... wrote:
          > > Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
          > > representatives I could get in different formats at
          > > http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html
          > >
          > > The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....
          > >
          > > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml
          update
          > > to date...
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >

          > --
          > Neil Drumm
          > http://delocalizedham.com

          So I'm back in the saddle again and things will be different when I'm in
          San Diego.
        • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
            I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
            there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
            gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......

            --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

            > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
            > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
            >
            > -Neil
          • Derek Willis
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
              This isn't completely accurate - the House roll call XML files have
              the bioguide IDs in them. Do a view source on this page, for example:

              http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll683.xml

              But there is no single list of current members that gets updated
              regularly that includes the bioguide IDs.

              Derek Willis

              On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
              Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...> wrote:
              > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
              > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
              > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......
              >
              > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
              >> at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
              >>
              >> -Neil

              Derek Willis
              dwillis@...
              http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
            • Joe Carmel
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
                A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                Joe

                I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                >
                > -Neil

              • Justin Palmer
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                  You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

                  Justin Palmer
                  http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

                  On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

                  A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                  Joe

                  I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                  there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                  gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                  --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                  > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                  > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                  >
                  > -Neil

                • scottyrockit
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                    You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
                    wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
                    of life ! I can feel you
                    ---
                    In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

                    > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
                    assume will be
                    > kept up to date when the transition happens.
                    > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
                    >
                    > Justin Palmer
                    > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
                    >
                    > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                    > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
                    HTML file
                    > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
                    which will
                    > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
                    > >
                    > > Joe
                    > >

                    > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
                    > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
                    > >
                    > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
                    > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
                    House.

                    com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

                    > > > -Neil

                  • scottyrockit
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                        Joe Carmel wrote:
                        > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                        > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
                        > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
                        > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                        Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

                        I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
                        http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

                        The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

                        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                        CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

                        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                        CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                        Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                        And it's currently updating this:

                        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                        CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

                        which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                        second).

                        An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                        numbers last I checked.

                      • Derek Willis
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                          On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
                          > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
                          >
                          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                          > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
                          >
                          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                          > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                          > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                          There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
                          member of the House)

                          > And it's currently updating this:
                          >
                          > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                          > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
                          >
                          > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                          > second).
                          >
                          > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                          > numbers last I checked.

                          Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
                          redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
                          biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
                          that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
                          Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

                          http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

                          Derek
                          --
                          Derek Willis