RE: [govtrack] Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • Scott West
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
      Here is an Alphabetical list of every house member and their committee assignments

      To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
      From: nlakkakula@...
      Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:57:05 +0000
      Subject: [govtrack] Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

      I am able to get List of all senate members (with BioguideID)
      http://www.senate. gov/general/ contact_informat ion/senators_ cfm.cfm BUT
      for house, I couldnt find anywhere.

      Also from people.xml, is there way to get who are Senators for 110th
      congress... who are reps for 110th congress.... is it reliable to
      depend on for End Date in role tag for 12-31-2008

      thanks a bunch

      Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
    • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
        Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
        representatives I could get in different formats at
        http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html

        The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....

        Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml update
        to date...

        thanks
      • Neil Drumm
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
          If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
          at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.

          -Neil

          --
          Neil Drumm
          http://delocalizedham.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
            Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda wrote:
            > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml update
            > to date...

            I now update it by hand.

            It was initially generated from a few data sources.

          • scottyrockit
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
              --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

              > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
              > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
              >
              > -Neil
              >
              > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
              > Pogadadanda nlakkakula@... wrote:
              > > Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
              > > representatives I could get in different formats at
              > > http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html
              > >
              > > The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....
              > >
              > > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml
              update
              > > to date...
              > >
              > > thanks
              > >

              > --
              > Neil Drumm
              > http://delocalizedham.com

              So I'm back in the saddle again and things will be different when I'm in
              San Diego.
            • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
                I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
                >
                > -Neil
              • Derek Willis
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
                  This isn't completely accurate - the House roll call XML files have
                  the bioguide IDs in them. Do a view source on this page, for example:

                  http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll683.xml

                  But there is no single list of current members that gets updated
                  regularly that includes the bioguide IDs.

                  Derek Willis

                  On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
                  Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...> wrote:
                  > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                  > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                  > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......
                  >
                  > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                  >> at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
                  >>
                  >> -Neil

                  Derek Willis
                  dwillis@...
                  http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
                • Joe Carmel
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
                    A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                    Joe

                    I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                    there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                    gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                    --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                    > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                    > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                    >
                    > -Neil

                  • Justin Palmer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                      You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

                      Justin Palmer
                      http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

                      On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

                      A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                      Joe

                      I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                      there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                      gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                      --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                      > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                      > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                      >
                      > -Neil

                    • scottyrockit
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                        You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
                        wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
                        of life ! I can feel you
                        ---
                        In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

                        > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
                        assume will be
                        > kept up to date when the transition happens.
                        > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
                        >
                        > Justin Palmer
                        > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
                        >
                        > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                        > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
                        HTML file
                        > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
                        which will
                        > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
                        > >
                        > > Joe
                        > >

                        > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
                        > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
                        > >
                        > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
                        > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
                        House.

                        com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

                        > > > -Neil

                      • scottyrockit
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                            Joe Carmel wrote:
                            > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                            > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
                            > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
                            > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                            Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

                            I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
                            http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

                            The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

                            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                            CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

                            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                            CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                            Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                            And it's currently updating this:

                            http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                            CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

                            which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                            second).

                            An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                            numbers last I checked.

                          • Derek Willis
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                              On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
                              > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
                              >
                              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                              > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
                              >
                              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                              > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                              > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                              There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
                              member of the House)

                              > And it's currently updating this:
                              >
                              > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                              > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
                              >
                              > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                              > second).
                              >
                              > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                              > numbers last I checked.

                              Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
                              redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
                              biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
                              that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
                              Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

                              http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

                              Derek
                              --
                              Derek Willis