people.xml potential data format change

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2008
      If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
      characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
      instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?

    • Kevin Henry
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
        That shouldn't be a problem for whereabill.org (assuming that the
        character encoding is still ISO-8859-1), but maybe you can make
        another announcement when you actually make the change so I can
        double-check?

        Kevin

        > If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
        > characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
        > instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?

        > - GovTrack.us

        > Tortoise (in "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter)

      • Joe Germuska
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2008
          On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
          > If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
          > characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
          > instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?

          Assuming that you make this change (and I'm a firm believer in getting
          character encodings clear from the beginning), I'd encourage you also
          to make explicit the encoding in the XML declaration. While the rules
          are well defined for how XML tools should determine the encoding when
          it is omitted (http://www.opentag.com/xfaq_enc.htm#enc_default), it
          will be easier for everyone if it's explicit.

          I say this because over the last several months I've had a lot of
          headache wrestling with a vendor's XML which didn't exactly conform to
          those rules.

          Joe

          --
          Joe Germuska
          Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

          "I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
          -- Sly Stone
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2008
            Joe Germuska wrote:
            > On Nov 6, 2008, at 12:21 PM, Josh Tauberer wrote:
            >> If I change the lastname field in people.xml to have non-ASCII
            >> characters, e.g. with Puerto Rico's Luis Fortuño getting the tilde
            >> instead of Fortuno, will people be adversely affected?
            >

            > Assuming that you make this change

            I've just made the change. The lastname and name attributes are affected.

            > (and I'm a firm believer in getting
            > character encodings clear from the beginning), I'd encourage you also
            > to make explicit the encoding in the XML declaration.

            Well, I've got XML files throughout the site and don't want to start
            redoing all of them... Without a BOM or explicit encoding, it's always
            UTF-8 right? Seems simple enough.

            All of my files are (intended to be) UTF-8 encoded. After many years of
            struggling with UTF-8 in Perl, it's still tricky for me to get it right.