Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

  • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
      I am able to get List of all senate members (with BioguideID)
      http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm BUT
      for house, I couldnt find anywhere.

      Also from people.xml, is there way to get who are Senators for 110th
      congress... who are reps for 110th congress.... is it reliable to
      depend on for End Date in role tag for 12-31-2008

      thanks a bunch
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
        Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda wrote:
        > Also from people.xml, is there way to get who are Senators for 110th
        > congress... who are reps for 110th congress.... is it reliable to
        > depend on for End Date in role tag for 12-31-2008

        Sort of. It's not always Dec 31, but the date itself is reliable,
        meaning you can see who served in the 110th Congress by looking for
        people whose *end* dates are >= Jan 1, 2007 and whose *start* dates are
        <= Dec. 31, 2008. That'll work for senators as well, whose terms span
        several sessions. If you're just looking at reps, then you could just
        look at the start date year and see if it's 2007 or 2008.

        I have rounded-off the start and end dates to January 1 and December 31
        for when Members start a term at the beginning (which is often actually
        around January 4) and make it to the end of their term without a
        scandal, dieing, etc. (which is something like January 3 the next year).
        If they came in via appointment or special election or resigned or died,
        etc., the dates reflect that (except in the historical data where I may
        not have entered it).

      • Scott West
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
          Here is an Alphabetical list of every house member and their committee assignments

          To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
          From: nlakkakula@...
          Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:57:05 +0000
          Subject: [govtrack] Where to get BioguideIDs for People in House.

          I am able to get List of all senate members (with BioguideID)
          http://www.senate. gov/general/ contact_informat ion/senators_ cfm.cfm BUT
          for house, I couldnt find anywhere.

          Also from people.xml, is there way to get who are Senators for 110th
          congress... who are reps for 110th congress.... is it reliable to
          depend on for End Date in role tag for 12-31-2008

          thanks a bunch

          Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
        • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
            Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
            representatives I could get in different formats at
            http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html

            The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....

            Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml update
            to date...

            thanks
          • Neil Drumm
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
              If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
              at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.

              -Neil

              --
              Neil Drumm
              http://delocalizedham.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
                Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda wrote:
                > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml update
                > to date...

                I now update it by hand.

                It was initially generated from a few data sources.

              • scottyrockit
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2008
                  --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                  > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                  > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
                  >
                  > -Neil
                  >
                  > On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
                  > Pogadadanda nlakkakula@... wrote:
                  > > Thanks Scott... But I want BioguideID though..... List of
                  > > representatives I could get in different formats at
                  > > http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/index.html
                  > >
                  > > The problem is it doesnt have BioguideID field....
                  > >
                  > > Josh... could you tell us how do you fetch and keep people.xml
                  update
                  > > to date...
                  > >
                  > > thanks
                  > >

                  > --
                  > Neil Drumm
                  > http://delocalizedham.com

                  So I'm back in the saddle again and things will be different when I'm in
                  San Diego.
                • Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
                    I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                    there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                    gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......

                    --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                    > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                    > at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
                    >
                    > -Neil
                  • Derek Willis
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 7, 2008
                      This isn't completely accurate - the House roll call XML files have
                      the bioguide IDs in them. Do a view source on this page, for example:

                      http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2008/roll683.xml

                      But there is no single list of current members that gets updated
                      regularly that includes the bioguide IDs.

                      Derek Willis

                      On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:48 AM, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha
                      Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...> wrote:
                      > I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                      > there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                      > gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals......
                      >
                      > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                      >> at http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/.
                      >>
                      >> -Neil

                      Derek Willis
                      dwillis@...
                      http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
                    • Joe Carmel
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 13, 2008
                        A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                        Joe

                        I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                        there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                        gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                        --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                        > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                        > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                        >
                        > -Neil

                      • Justin Palmer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                          You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I assume will be kept up to date when the transition happens.

                          Justin Palmer
                          http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com

                          On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:

                          A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                          Joe

                          I see... I think this serves my purpose for now.... So it seems
                          there is NO Official XML data available either from house or GPO which
                          gives list of Names with BioguideIDs in a regular intervals... ...

                          --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "Neil Drumm" <drumm@...> wrote:

                          > If all you need is the 110th, look under the Download All Data heading
                          > at http://services. sunlightlabs. com/api/.
                          >
                          > -Neil

                        • scottyrockit
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                            You are a brother for life ! I reserve a place for you beyond your
                            wildest dreams with my family and the big guy. Your name in the book
                            of life ! I can feel you
                            ---
                            In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Palmer" <encytemedia@...> wrote:

                            > You can also get this information from Sunlight's API which I
                            assume will be
                            > kept up to date when the transition happens.
                            > http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/docs/legislators/
                            >
                            > Justin Palmer
                            > http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com
                            >
                            > On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Joe Carmel <joe.carmel@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                            > > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed
                            HTML file
                            > > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file
                            which will
                            > > contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.
                            > >
                            > > Joe
                            > >

                            > > --- On *Fri, 11/7/08, Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <
                            > > nlakkakula@...>* wrote:
                            > >
                            > > From: Narasimha Lakkakula & Sirisha Pogadadanda <nlakkakula@...>
                            > > Subject: [govtrack] Re: Where to get BioguideIDs for People in
                            House.

                            com/api/.<http://services.sunlightlabs.com/api/>

                            > > > -Neil

                          • scottyrockit
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 15, 2008
                                Joe Carmel wrote:
                                > A generalized approach for this purpose is to use the
                                > http://bioguide.congress.gov website to generate a well-formed HTML file
                                > containing your specified criteria and then using that HTML file which
                                > will contain the Bioguide IDs as hrefs.

                                Ooops, I should have remembered to suggest that.

                                I actually have a parser for that site. Code here:
                                http://razor.occams.info/code/repo/?/govtrack/gather/us/bioguide.pl

                                The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):

                                http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                                CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year

                                http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                                CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                                Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                                And it's currently updating this:

                                http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                                CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text

                                which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                                second).

                                An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                                numbers last I checked.

                              • Derek Willis
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 16, 2008
                                  On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
                                  > The whole bioguide directory is here (just updated, now UTF-8):
                                  >
                                  > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide1.csv
                                  > CSV file with bioguide ID, name, birth year, death year
                                  >
                                  > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide2.csv
                                  > CSV file with bioguide ID, role (Senator, Representative, ContCong,
                                  > Delegate (I think that's it, not sure)), party, state, and congress number

                                  There is one more role: Resident Commissioner (used for Puerto Rico's
                                  member of the House)

                                  > And it's currently updating this:
                                  >
                                  > http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bioguide3.csv
                                  > CSV file with bioguide ID and the biographical text
                                  >
                                  > which will probably be done in four hours (it rate limits one page per
                                  > second).
                                  >
                                  > An interesting limitation of that data is that reps don't have district
                                  > numbers last I checked.

                                  Yeah, that's likely because district numbers can change over time with
                                  redistricting, or they can run for other offices, so the bioguide
                                  biotext plays it safe by just using the role. There are other sites
                                  that provide information about specific districts and more. I like
                                  Charles Stewart's page at MIT, but even that data has typos:

                                  http://web.mit.edu/17.251/www/data_page.html

                                  Derek
                                  --
                                  Derek Willis