Re: [govtrack] tracking support of a bill

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
      Ilan Rabinovitch wrote:
      > Is anyone else finding the idea of "voice votes" and other off the
      > recorded votes a bit frustrating? Many of the bills I've been tracking
      > on our site, end up passing with either a voice vote, or a "call for
      > unanimous consent". Neither of these allow for tracking how your
      > representative actually vote on an issues that matter. Even more
      > frustrating is that contraversial bills almost always fall into this
      > category.

      Besides in noncontroversial cases, these votes are often used when a
      real debate and recorded vote on the issue has taken place on another
      bill --- e.g. a companion bill in the other chamber.

      Maybe that explains it?

      In general, controversial issues do get a recorded vote at some point in
      the process, as far as I've seen.

      Identifying companion bills and things like that is another question.
      Usually they are related bills identified by CRS (which is encoded in my
      bill files), but there are other ways bills can be related as well.

    • Harvey S. Frey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Some schools are now using plagiarism detection software.
        That might be useful for finding related, renumbered, or merged bills.

        Harvey

        http://razor. occams.info

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          Harvey S. Frey wrote:
          > Some schools are now using plagiarism detection software.
          > That might be useful for finding related, renumbered, or merged bills.

          Yup.

          But I'll say, ideas are in more abundance than people willing and able
          to implement them.....

          Josh