tracking support of a bill

  • Ilan Rabinovitch
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hello,

      Is anyone else finding the idea of "voice votes" and other off the
      recorded votes a bit frustrating? Many of the bills I've been tracking
      on our site, end up passing with either a voice vote, or a "call for
      unanimous consent". Neither of these allow for tracking how your
      representative actually vote on an issues that matter. Even more
      frustrating is that contraversial bills almost always fall into this
      category.

      Other than actual voting records (which aren't always available) and
      sponsor/cosponsor stats, what other data points exist to determine
      support? Basically, we are trying to build automated/programmatic
      tools that report on whether or not an elected official supported a
      particular piece of legislation.

      Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated. At the moment we are
      pulling in our data mostly via the govtrack rsync repository, as well as
      the sunlight api. If there is another data source you would recommend,
      I would love to check it out.

      Thanks
      Ilan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        Ilan Rabinovitch wrote:
        > Is anyone else finding the idea of "voice votes" and other off the
        > recorded votes a bit frustrating? Many of the bills I've been tracking
        > on our site, end up passing with either a voice vote, or a "call for
        > unanimous consent". Neither of these allow for tracking how your
        > representative actually vote on an issues that matter. Even more
        > frustrating is that contraversial bills almost always fall into this
        > category.

        Besides in noncontroversial cases, these votes are often used when a
        real debate and recorded vote on the issue has taken place on another
        bill --- e.g. a companion bill in the other chamber.

        Maybe that explains it?

        In general, controversial issues do get a recorded vote at some point in
        the process, as far as I've seen.

        Identifying companion bills and things like that is another question.
        Usually they are related bills identified by CRS (which is encoded in my
        bill files), but there are other ways bills can be related as well.

      • Harvey S. Frey
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
          Some schools are now using plagiarism detection software.
          That might be useful for finding related, renumbered, or merged bills.

          Harvey

          http://razor. occams.info

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
            Harvey S. Frey wrote:
            > Some schools are now using plagiarism detection software.
            > That might be useful for finding related, renumbered, or merged bills.

            Yup.

            But I'll say, ideas are in more abundance than people willing and able
            to implement them.....

            Josh