Re: [govtrack] New "Learn" section on GovTrack

  • Aaron Swartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      I can't really commit to writing them myself, but I'd be happy to read
      them over and contribute portions.
    • Harvey S. Frey
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
        Josh:

        >get to the things you wouldn't know unless you're in Washington <

            Like how each of the apparently unrelated pork items in the Senate Bailout bill was directed at a specific member of the House who had voted against the previous Bailout bill, in an effort to change his vote? That was stated on Air America today, with several examples, including the "wooden arrows" for Oregon.

            The commentator also alleged that such 'sweeteners' were saved up by the Senatorial leadership for just such a purpose.

            I can't imagine a computer system, unassisted by a very knowledgeable human, that could scrape all the relevant facts together to verify or belie that allegation.

        Harvey

        =====================
        Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
        hsfrey@...   www.harp.org
        ======================
        A dogmatic assertion always sounds
        "stronger" than a rational assessment.
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
          > Like how each of the apparently unrelated pork items in the Senate
          > Bailout bill was directed at a specific member of the House who had voted
          > against the previous Bailout bill, in an effort to change his vote? That was

          I think this is one of the things that's "common knowledge" in DC.
          Ezra Klein has a post about it today:

          http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=10&year=2008&base_name=the_case_for_earmarks

          citing this 2006 piece arguing against the Sunlight Foundation:

          http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=874590f6-6d63-432d-b49d-9218fc609379