New "Learn" section on GovTrack

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      I am in the process of adding a new section to GovTrack called "Learn"
      that will be some expository writing on:

      The U.S. Congress: Structure and Composition
      How Congress Really Works (how a bill actually becomes a law)
      United States Law & State Legislation (what is the "law"?)
      Elections and Voting, and Money in Politics

      The idea is to cover the basics briefly that most learn in grade school,
      and then get to the things you wouldn't know unless you're in Washington
      or on a mail list like this one.

      If anyone has any desire to help writing out these sections, please let
      me know. (I welcome ideas for other sections, but you'll have to write
      them.)

    • Aaron Swartz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
        I can't really commit to writing them myself, but I'd be happy to read
        them over and contribute portions.
      • Harvey S. Frey
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
          Josh:

          >get to the things you wouldn't know unless you're in Washington <

              Like how each of the apparently unrelated pork items in the Senate Bailout bill was directed at a specific member of the House who had voted against the previous Bailout bill, in an effort to change his vote? That was stated on Air America today, with several examples, including the "wooden arrows" for Oregon.

              The commentator also alleged that such 'sweeteners' were saved up by the Senatorial leadership for just such a purpose.

              I can't imagine a computer system, unassisted by a very knowledgeable human, that could scrape all the relevant facts together to verify or belie that allegation.

          Harvey

          =====================
          Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
          hsfrey@...   www.harp.org
          ======================
          A dogmatic assertion always sounds
          "stronger" than a rational assessment.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
            > Like how each of the apparently unrelated pork items in the Senate
            > Bailout bill was directed at a specific member of the House who had voted
            > against the previous Bailout bill, in an effort to change his vote? That was

            I think this is one of the things that's "common knowledge" in DC.
            Ezra Klein has a post about it today:

            http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=10&year=2008&base_name=the_case_for_earmarks

            citing this 2006 piece arguing against the Sunlight Foundation:

            http://www.tnr.com/politics/story.html?id=874590f6-6d63-432d-b49d-9218fc609379