Economic Stimulus Bill Text Tracker

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008
      Based on an idea from John Wonderlich on the Open House Project mail
      list, I adapted the bill comparison tool I developed for
      GovTrack and analyzed the changes made between the draft PDFs that have
      been circulating of the bail-out bill. I found four texts (three drafts
      plus the amendment voted on today), making for three comparisons. You
      can see them here:

      http://www.govtrack.us/special/econstimbill/changes.xpd

      It's not very pretty because while House bill writers have been posting
      the PDFs, PDFs don't make it easy to make comparisons. They *are*
      composing the bills in XML, and if they made those available we the
      public would have an easier time. Maybe we wouldn't complain to our reps
      so much either because we could actually understand what is going on better!

      GovTrack, much like House.gov, is having difficulty keeping up with the
      high load of so many people Googling for HR 3997. You may have to reload
      the page once or twice or thrice to get it.

      If you have spotted a draft PDF (in the 105 page range) that I don't
      have, please send it along and I'll add it.

      Feedback is welcome. I would appreciate a few hours embargo on linking
      in case some bugs crop up from feedback. After that, please disseminate
      far and wide as you please.