Re: [govtrack] What to do about legislative process questions

  • Justin Palmer
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2008
      Could you have a view that list latest questions?  These could be sorted by date, bill, or popularity (# of responses maybe?).

      This would work two fold.  It would add visibility to individual questions and give users the ability to see all questions in a single location.

       -Justin

      On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 5:44 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

      I'm getting a bunch of general legislative process questions through the
      new bill Q&A feature on GovTrack. One of the questions I promoted into a
      blog post:

      http://www.govtrack.us/blog/2008/09/18/what-does-ordered-to-be-reported-with-an-amendment-in-the-nature-of-a-substitute-favorably-mean/
      (A WordPress excessively long URL that I didn't think to change.)

      I have two more questions in the queue that were posted through a bill
      Q&A but are not particularly relevant to the bill:

      "Does one know who writes a bill? Is writing a bill considered different
      than being the Sponsor of the bill?"

      "What would happen to the bill just in case it does not make it to the
      president before Sept 26 which i think is the last workin day for the
      current Govt. Will it become scrap or can it be taken up in the new Govt
      from the stage it is or should it be reintroduced or..."

      I would rather put these questions into a more appropriate platform than
      being hidden on individual bill pages.

      They can keep going onto the blog, but I also am hesitant to keep
      bothering the folks on the Open House Project mail list when I need some
      expert help to answer the questions.

      Suggestions?

      This is a niche in need of someone to fill it.

      Justin Palmer
      http://alternateidea.com | http://lighthouseapp.com | http://activereload.net | http://warehouseapp.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2008
        Justin Palmer wrote:
        > Could you have a view that list latest questions? These could be sorted
        > by date, bill, or popularity (# of responses maybe?).
        >
        > This would work two fold. It would add visibility to individual
        > questions and give users the ability to see all questions in a single
        > location.

        There is a feed for new questions, but that's about it currently:
        http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=misc%3aquestions

        The other ideas I'd like to do eventually. Though, they don't solve my
        legislative process questions question.