Re: [govtrack] Mixing Facts with Speculation/Gossip

  • Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Bill Farrell wrote:
      > As we're scraping and conditioning the raw data, we might think about
      > a common format for citing the source, perhaps briefly describing the
      > normlization procedures, and state outright that no opinion has been
      > made on any of the contents. [snip]
      >
      > Joshua, would OGDEX support such a resource registration/citation
      > form?

      OGDEX was started as a community effort with no particular leadership,
      so don't look at me. :) Its mission is to serve as a hub for efforts
      along these lines, and I agree that we will need a system for describing
      data sources, and I also think OGDEX would work well as a central place
      to list sources in that way.

      I have lots of ideas (as per usual) about how to go about describing
      data sources, but before I present them 1) I need to get everyone to
      agree that RDF is the way to approach this (otherwise we're going to be
      debating XML formats forever), and 2) we need to actually get different
      data sources available on the web.

      The ideal way to get all of this going is for someone that has data
      (e.g. you, Bill) to pick out a slice of their data that is related to
      what's on GovTrack but doesn't overlap with it, and then for you and
      GovTrack to export that data in a common format (e.g. RDF). These days
      I'm just waiting for this to happen.

      Take the bioguide IDs, for instance. It's related to GovTrack's data in
      that its about the same people that GovTrack has data about, but it
      doesn't overlap because I don't have that info. The common format I
      hope to convince you of is RDF (pending my finishing the explanation of
      RDF), and then I can work with you on getting the data exported in that
      format...