GPO legislative data to be bought and made open

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      Carl Malamud of public.resource.org, with funding from a bunch of places
      including a small bit from GovTrack's ad profits, announced his
      intention to purchase from the Government Printing Office documents they
      produce in the course of their statutory obligations and then have the
      nerve to sell back to the public at prohibitive prices. The document to
      be purchased is the Code of Federal Regulations, the component of
      federal law created by executive branch agencies, in electronic form.
      Once obtained, it will be posted openly/freely online.

      More here: http://public.resource.org/gpo.gov/index.html

      And Carl's letter to the GPO:
      http://public.resource.org/gpo.gov/the_honorable.html

      There is no independent website that provides Web 2.0ish access to the
      CFR. I hope someone steps up to rectify that problem as soon as we get
      the files.