Re: [govtrack] Change in GovTrack bill statistics

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
      Aaron Swartz wrote:
      >> Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
      >> I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
      >> Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
      >> This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
      >> but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
      >> include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
      >> bills-not-going-anywhere.
      >
      > Is this fixed in the XML files as well? Are there any changes we need
      > to make to our parsers?

      It's just that the meaning of the fields changed. The structure of the
      XML didn't change.

    • Peggy Garvin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
        Josh, Thanks for the update.
        An exception on resolutions: joint resolutions can become public law. Don't now if you have considered this or not. In the 110th, see HJRes 20 and HJRes 43 for examples. Including these would probably have little effect on any member's stats, but it is an important distinction. A good reference for these matters:
        http://www.gpoaccess.gov/bills/glossary.html#definitions

        Cheers,
        Peggy

        Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
        I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
        Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
        This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
        but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
        include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
        bills-not-going- anywhere.

        http://razor. occams.info

      • Harvey S. Frey
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
          Josh:

              Yes, *I* care! <G> You may remember I asked you a couple of months ago if there wasn't some way to provide an option to eliminate resolutions when viewing a member's bills. They are just so much irrelevant static for most purposes.

          Harvey

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
            Peggy Garvin wrote:
            > Josh, Thanks for the update.
            > An exception on resolutions: joint resolutions can become public law.
            > Don't now if you have considered this or not. In the 110th, see HJRes 20
            > and HJRes 43 for examples. Including these would probably have little
            > effect on any member's stats, but it is an important distinction. A good
            > reference for these matters:
            > http://www.gpoaccess.gov/bills/glossary.html#definitions

            Meh.

            I'll just ignore that.

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
              Harvey S. Frey wrote:
              > Yes, *I* care! <G> You may remember I asked you a couple of months
              > ago if there wasn't some way to provide an option to eliminate
              > resolutions when viewing a member's bills. They are just so much
              > irrelevant static for most purposes.

              Ha, ok, I have no recollection of that. :-P