Re: [govtrack] Re: Ammended or Related Bills

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2008
      Eric Bresie wrote:
      > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
      >> Eric Bresie wrote:
      >>> While reviewing some of the bills online, I like the way you can
      >>> reference specific sections of the bills with linkable tool tips
      > being
      >>> present.
      >> Thanks! You mean creating a link right to a paragraph, right?
      > You're the
      >> first to provide feedback on that.
      >> We (that is, really someone else is doing the hard work on the
      >> following) are going to roll out some major improvements to the
      > bill
      >> text pages in the next month, hopefully
      >>> Is it possible showing a bill that includes ammending a bill or
      >>> reference to another bill, that a tool tip or similar link be
      > available
      >>> to go to the related bill as well?
      >> Bills don't ever refer to other bills (as far as I've seen).
      > Amendments
      >> implicitly refer to a bill, but we don't have a good foundation for
      >> showing amendment text well because Congress doesn't code up that
      >> information very well at all.
      >> Bills do reference the U.S. Code ("USC") and sometimes the Code of
      >> Federal Regulations ("CFR"). They may make references to other
      > aspects
      >> of law that I haven't seen. Is this what you mean? But, when a bill
      >> references the USC it should almost always be accompanied by a link
      > on
      >> the site to the text of the USC (on a website run by Cornell).
      >> So I'm not sure what you mean, but please do clarify or point me to
      >> particular example, since it sounds like you have an idea that
      > would be
      >> very useful to add and also not so difficult for me to do.
      >> Josh
      > This probably is more relavent when ammeding a bill, which references
      > an earlier bill, with specific sections in the bill.
      > I think I was looking for something similiar to what is in the
      > Navigation on the Status page, only added as a link in the "tool tip"
      > type dialog (presently available showing "Paragraph Options").
      > Currently it allows linking in, but not showing links out.
      > Maybe some of this is my unfamiliarity with the way these things are
      > written up. Does that make sense?

      Yes and no. I think I know what you mean, but an example would help.

      If you're suggesting that on a bill text page it should link to the
      amendments that modify the paragraph you're looking at, or if you're
      looking at an amendment's text and it should link to the paragraph in
      the bill it modifies --- both of those are major projects which would be
      worthwhile to do but someone would have to step up and volunteer to do
      them. It may actually not be possible to do in an automated and
      comprehensive way.