Change in GovTrack bill statistics

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
      Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
      I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
      Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
      This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
      but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
      include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
      bills-not-going-anywhere.

    • Aaron Swartz
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
        > Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
        > I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
        > Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
        > This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
        > but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
        > include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
        > bills-not-going-anywhere.

        Is this fixed in the XML files as well? Are there any changes we need
        to make to our parsers?
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
          Aaron Swartz wrote:
          >> Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
          >> I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
          >> Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
          >> This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
          >> but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
          >> include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
          >> bills-not-going-anywhere.
          >
          > Is this fixed in the XML files as well? Are there any changes we need
          > to make to our parsers?

          It's just that the meaning of the fields changed. The structure of the
          XML didn't change.

        • Peggy Garvin
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
            Josh, Thanks for the update.
            An exception on resolutions: joint resolutions can become public law. Don't now if you have considered this or not. In the 110th, see HJRes 20 and HJRes 43 for examples. Including these would probably have little effect on any member's stats, but it is an important distinction. A good reference for these matters:
            http://www.gpoaccess.gov/bills/glossary.html#definitions

            Cheers,
            Peggy

            Not sure if anyone really cares here, but I thought I would mention that
            I have changed this morning the statistics generated per Member of
            Congress on bill sponsorship --- the numbers now exclude resolutions.
            This is because there is a statistic counting bills that were enacted,
            but since resolutions are not enacted, it was somewhat misleading to
            include them in the totals for sponsorship, cosponsorship, and
            bills-not-going- anywhere.

            http://razor. occams.info

          • Harvey S. Frey
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
              Josh:

                  Yes, *I* care! <G> You may remember I asked you a couple of months ago if there wasn't some way to provide an option to eliminate resolutions when viewing a member's bills. They are just so much irrelevant static for most purposes.

              Harvey

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
                Peggy Garvin wrote:
                > Josh, Thanks for the update.
                > An exception on resolutions: joint resolutions can become public law.
                > Don't now if you have considered this or not. In the 110th, see HJRes 20
                > and HJRes 43 for examples. Including these would probably have little
                > effect on any member's stats, but it is an important distinction. A good
                > reference for these matters:
                > http://www.gpoaccess.gov/bills/glossary.html#definitions

                Meh.

                I'll just ignore that.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 19, 2008
                  Harvey S. Frey wrote:
                  > Yes, *I* care! <G> You may remember I asked you a couple of months
                  > ago if there wasn't some way to provide an option to eliminate
                  > resolutions when viewing a member's bills. They are just so much
                  > irrelevant static for most purposes.

                  Ha, ok, I have no recollection of that. :-P