Ammended or Related Bills

  • Eric Bresie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 15 11:03 AM
      While reviewing some of the bills online, I like the way you can
      reference specific sections of the bills with linkable tool tips being
      present.

      This got me thinking of an improvement suggestion.

      Is it possible showing a bill that includes ammending a bill or
      reference to another bill, that a tool tip or similar link be available
      to go to the related bill as well?

      Thanks ahead of time.

      Eric
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 15 1:56 PM
        Eric Bresie wrote:
        > While reviewing some of the bills online, I like the way you can
        > reference specific sections of the bills with linkable tool tips being
        > present.

        Thanks! You mean creating a link right to a paragraph, right? You're the
        first to provide feedback on that.

        We (that is, really someone else is doing the hard work on the
        following) are going to roll out some major improvements to the bill
        text pages in the next month, hopefully

        > Is it possible showing a bill that includes ammending a bill or
        > reference to another bill, that a tool tip or similar link be available
        > to go to the related bill as well?

        Bills don't ever refer to other bills (as far as I've seen). Amendments
        implicitly refer to a bill, but we don't have a good foundation for
        showing amendment text well because Congress doesn't code up that
        information very well at all.

        Bills do reference the U.S. Code ("USC") and sometimes the Code of
        Federal Regulations ("CFR"). They may make references to other aspects
        of law that I haven't seen. Is this what you mean? But, when a bill
        references the USC it should almost always be accompanied by a link on
        the site to the text of the USC (on a website run by Cornell).

        So I'm not sure what you mean, but please do clarify or point me to a
        particular example, since it sounds like you have an idea that would be
        very useful to add and also not so difficult for me to do.

        Josh
      • Eric Bresie
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16 10:48 AM

          > Eric Bresie wrote:
          > > While reviewing some of the bills online, I like the way you can
          > > reference specific sections of the bills with linkable tool tips
          being
          > > present.
          >
          > Thanks! You mean creating a link right to a paragraph, right?
          You're the
          > first to provide feedback on that.
          >
          > We (that is, really someone else is doing the hard work on the
          > following) are going to roll out some major improvements to the
          bill
          > text pages in the next month, hopefully
          >
          > > Is it possible showing a bill that includes ammending a bill or
          > > reference to another bill, that a tool tip or similar link be
          available
          > > to go to the related bill as well?
          >
          > Bills don't ever refer to other bills (as far as I've seen).
          Amendments
          > implicitly refer to a bill, but we don't have a good foundation for
          > showing amendment text well because Congress doesn't code up that
          > information very well at all.
          >
          > Bills do reference the U.S. Code ("USC") and sometimes the Code of
          > Federal Regulations ("CFR"). They may make references to other
          aspects
          > of law that I haven't seen. Is this what you mean? But, when a bill
          > references the USC it should almost always be accompanied by a link
          on
          > the site to the text of the USC (on a website run by Cornell).
          >
          > So I'm not sure what you mean, but please do clarify or point me to
          > particular example, since it sounds like you have an idea that
          would be
          > very useful to add and also not so difficult for me to do.
          >
          > Josh

          This probably is more relavent when ammeding a bill, which references
          an earlier bill, with specific sections in the bill.

          I think I was looking for something similiar to what is in the
          Navigation on the Status page, only added as a link in the "tool tip"
          type dialog (presently available showing "Paragraph Options").
          Currently it allows linking in, but not showing links out.

          Maybe some of this is my unfamiliarity with the way these things are
          written up. Does that make sense?

          Eric
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17 4:18 AM
            Eric Bresie wrote:
            > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
            >> Eric Bresie wrote:
            >>> While reviewing some of the bills online, I like the way you can
            >>> reference specific sections of the bills with linkable tool tips
            > being
            >>> present.
            >> Thanks! You mean creating a link right to a paragraph, right?
            > You're the
            >> first to provide feedback on that.
            >>
            >> We (that is, really someone else is doing the hard work on the
            >> following) are going to roll out some major improvements to the
            > bill
            >> text pages in the next month, hopefully
            >>
            >>> Is it possible showing a bill that includes ammending a bill or
            >>> reference to another bill, that a tool tip or similar link be
            > available
            >>> to go to the related bill as well?
            >> Bills don't ever refer to other bills (as far as I've seen).
            > Amendments
            >> implicitly refer to a bill, but we don't have a good foundation for
            >> showing amendment text well because Congress doesn't code up that
            >> information very well at all.
            >>
            >> Bills do reference the U.S. Code ("USC") and sometimes the Code of
            >> Federal Regulations ("CFR"). They may make references to other
            > aspects
            >> of law that I haven't seen. Is this what you mean? But, when a bill
            >> references the USC it should almost always be accompanied by a link
            > on
            >> the site to the text of the USC (on a website run by Cornell).
            >>
            >> So I'm not sure what you mean, but please do clarify or point me to
            >> particular example, since it sounds like you have an idea that
            > would be
            >> very useful to add and also not so difficult for me to do.
            >>
            >> Josh
            >>

            > This probably is more relavent when ammeding a bill, which references
            > an earlier bill, with specific sections in the bill.
            >
            > I think I was looking for something similiar to what is in the
            > Navigation on the Status page, only added as a link in the "tool tip"
            > type dialog (presently available showing "Paragraph Options").
            > Currently it allows linking in, but not showing links out.
            >
            > Maybe some of this is my unfamiliarity with the way these things are
            > written up. Does that make sense?

            Yes and no. I think I know what you mean, but an example would help.

            If you're suggesting that on a bill text page it should link to the
            amendments that modify the paragraph you're looking at, or if you're
            looking at an amendment's text and it should link to the paragraph in
            the bill it modifies --- both of those are major projects which would be
            worthwhile to do but someone would have to step up and volunteer to do
            them. It may actually not be possible to do in an automated and
            comprehensive way.