Re: [govtrack] Finding and tracking bills related to a particular area of interest

  • Joe Germuska
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
      On Aug 14, 2008, at 10:28 AM, auzzie22301 wrote:
      > I am interested in building zero energy homes. These have a lot of
      > components to that that
      > would benefit from government incentives. For example, there is a
      > FEED In Tariff bill recently
      > introduced that would incentivize the installation of solar PV and
      > another that would give a
      > $10,000 tax credit for a zero energy house. Is it possible to set a
      > search criteria that would
      > identify relevant bills?

      Is this bill one of those you'd want to see? http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-1059

      If any of the subject areas are close enough for you, you can monitor
      them, or have an RSS feed for them, but if that would return too much
      "noise" beyond the ones in which you are interested, then there would
      need to be a way to identify them more specifically.

      In theory, at least, that might be something which could be done by
      textual analysis, or it might be done by human experts tagging the
      bills with more precise categories, or by some middle ground where the
      textual analysis recommends candidates for tagging to the human
      experts... As it is now, I think the best you have is the subject
      categories, and I think those are up to the Library of Congress.

      How do you find relevant bills now?

      Joe

      --
      Joe Germuska
      Joe@... * http://blog.germuska.com

      "I felt so good I told the leader how to follow."
      -- Sly Stone
    • Neil Cook
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 14, 2008
        A friendly interface to track issues is;
        http://www.opencongress.org/issue/show/4665_energy_conservation. Open
        Congress uses the GovTrack XML files as the source for the tracking.

        Cheers,
        /Neil