Re: [govtrack] Re: Limiting votes_download by date and/or amount

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2008
      Justin Palmer wrote:
      > Unfortunately, I've never written a line of python.

      That's quite all right since the site doesn't use Python. :)

      (For the APIs, it's XSLT and C#.)

      > somehow, if we can fit all of that information in someone's pocket, "having time" is no
      > longer an issue.

      > With a few clicks, I can see how a Senator voted on a specific piece of legislation. What If I
      > disagree with the Senators position? One more click and I can instantly call their office or
      > send them an email.

      Communication with Congress is tricky business. The easier you make it
      for a constituent to communicate, the less seriously it is taken.

      > * Request the votes for a candidate
      > * Request the roll for a vote (to obtain bill id)
      > * Request the bill and extract the title
      > I have to run through that list once for each vote and given the inability to limit votes, this
      > ends up being a very costly operation (both processing and $ if you're not on an unlimited
      > data plan). Fun stuff, but it's coming along nicely so far! :-)

      In this case, what you should try to do is create a server side to this
      so that the data is prepared in a format on the server that is most
      suitable to be loaded by the iPhone. This might involve downloading my
      raw dataset so you can access the whole thing in one shot, rather than
      making a number of API calls (which are somewhat costly on my end) per page.

      > Here are a few preliminary screens:
      > http://s3.amazonaws.com/caged/legislate/legislators.png
      > http://s3.amazonaws.com/caged/legislate/democrat.png
      > http://s3.amazonaws.com/caged/legislate/republican.png