Re: Ideas was: Research project: What do reps do all day?

  • Roger Williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2008

      > Occasionally I toss out some ideas to the list. One of these days
      I'll
      > really spark someone's interest...
      >
      > Something that I think would be interesting would be to go through
      > representative's daily schedule and put the meetings into
      categories so
      > we can see how often reps meet with lobbyists, their colleagues,
      attend
      > committee meetings, etc. But, wait, you ask, how do we see their
      > schedules? Well, there's at least one representative who makes her
      > schedule public, Kirsten Gillibrand, and the Congresspedia folks
      > diligently archive it:
      >
      > http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?
      title=Kirsten_Gillibrand/Schedule

      > This might be the first time such a large-scale analysis can be
      carried
      > out, since nearly a whole year's schedule is now available.

      Yeah, so I ended back up at this 2007 posting above. Pretty funny,
      since I was looking for this site I found about 4-5 months ago. It
      showed Obama's and Clinton's contributions by Month by Zip code. I
      was amazed at the SD of this data.

      Before I wanted to join that against some other data but I could not
      figure out how. Now when I try to find it again (because I am
      thinking about scaping) I end up over in CongressPedia. Immediately I
      wonder if it would be hard to get DBPedia to talk to CongressPedia.

      So maybe there are a lot of ideas out there. There sure is a lot of
      data and a helluva distributed join performance problem. I guess that
      is opportunity, right?

      Rgards..RogerW