Re: [govtrack] xml versions of some bills on Thomas

  • Scott Beardsley
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 28, 2005
      --- Joshua Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

      > Scott was going to work on California historical
      > election data (and
      > possibly current legislative info). Have you gotten
      > started on that, Scott?

      I was originally working on parsing bill data into xml
      but the discovery of aroundthecapitol.com put the
      brakes on that work. I've yet to hear back from the
      sites creator (the other Scott) about licensing and
      other details so I might revisit this later if he is
      uninterested.

      I'm working on manually digitizing (ie Hard Copy ->
      Digital Photo -> Spreadsheet -> XML) California
      election data now. I've gathered the last 5 years of
      CA elections into a spreedsheet for each election
      (I've found normal spreadsheet apps to be much faster
      than going directly to xml). I'm almost done with a
      perl script to translate those spreadsheets into xml.
      I wanted to get a few years of data to fully
      understand what type of data I'm working with. I've
      found that I can finish a full election in about 20-30
      hours so I estimate all of CA's election data should
      take one person a year of full time data entry.

      It may be possible to use OCR software to automate
      some of this. I'm taking digital photo's for older
      elections. I'll send out a Flickr set link when I have
      it ready.

      > I don't know if there are any other parallel
      > projects that got anywhere yet.

      For California: aroundthecapitol.com but Scott (the
      other one) hasn't shown any interest in joining
      govtrack/ogdex yet.

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Scott Beardsley
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- Scott Beardsley <sc0ttbeardsley@...> wrote:

        > I've got an email into
        > xml-bill-comments@... for more info about
        > name-id.

        I'm still not sure if there is an underlying source of
        the name-id but it seems they are becoming
        standardized on whatever the bioguide is using.

        Scott

        From "Carmel, Joe" <joe.carmel@...>:

        For the House, the name-id is the Member's id from
        http://bioguide.congress.gov This provides a unique
        identification for each Member of Congress for all
        time.

        The ids are unique and you should not assume anything
        about their numbering; if anything you should assume
        the numbering is random (although unique). Do not
        assume that a given name will begin with a specific
        letter because they don't.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail