Formats for parliamentary data

  • ziimmm
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 9, 2008
      Hi,

      I am running similar project for Lithuanian (EU) Parliament. As part
      of the project's remake all the data will be presented in RDF and I
      hope to reuse GovTrac RDF vocabularies, but I am not entirely sure if
      the formats designed for majoritarian (2 parties) political system
      will work in European consensual (>2 parties) political context.

      Maybe, with some alterations, it would be possible to use GovTrack
      schemas, instead of creating completely new RDF. This would have a
      benefit of sharing the same data between the different parliaments
      allowing to do comparative analysis. Maybe someone is working on this
      'common' Parliament RDF schema?

      Zygis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 21, 2008
        Hi,

        I had this in my inbox but lost track of it, but better late than never...

        ziimmm wrote:
        > I am running similar project for Lithuanian (EU) Parliament. As part
        > of the project's remake all the data will be presented in RDF and I
        > hope to reuse GovTrac RDF vocabularies, but I am not entirely sure if
        > the formats designed for majoritarian (2 parties) political system
        > will work in European consensual (>2 parties) political context.
        >
        > Maybe, with some alterations, it would be possible to use GovTrack
        > schemas, instead of creating completely new RDF. This would have a
        > benefit of sharing the same data between the different parliaments
        > allowing to do comparative analysis. Maybe someone is working on this
        > 'common' Parliament RDF schema?

        I think I've heard of generic schemas like this from time to time but I
        don't know that anything was created.

        Some of the schemas that I created are generic enough that they should
        apply anywhere:
        http://www.govtrack.us/share/politico.rdf
        http://www.govtrack.us/share/vote.rdf

        Others won't make sense elsewhere (and are explicitly about U.S. federal
        legislation):
        http://www.govtrack.us/share/usbill.rdf
        http://www.govtrack.us/share/usfec.rdf
        http://www.govtrack.us/share/usgovt.rdf

        (And those are all of my schemas. Some might be out of date.)

        I'm happy to consider applying more generic schemas if it helps
        integrate other data.