Re: linking Govtrack data

  • Roger Williams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
      > The data is marginally interlinked. For instance, their New York
      resource:
      > http://dbpedia.org/resource/New_York
      > is owl:sameAs'd to my New York resource:
      > http://www.rdfabout.com/rdf/usgov/geo/us/ny
      >
      > This was done based on their previously existing owl:sameAs links
      to the
      > Geonames dataset, and then the links I created between Geonames and
      my
      > Census data set (http://www.rdfabout.com/demo/census). That's the
      extent
      > of the interlinking --- otherwise the datasets don't connect at
      all. No
      > politician interlinking, for instance. (Also see:
      > http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Interlinking)

      Yeah...I looked at this DBPedia page before. What I got confused
      about is that it has a bubble for "US Census Data" and
      then "GovTrack" is grey-ed. There is no legend for this graphic.

      Do you know what the "grey-ed" bubbles connote? Is this like more
      than one "degree of separation"?

      Regards..RogerW
    • Roger Williams
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008

        <snipped/>
        > My SemWeb library (http://razor.occams.info/code/semweb) almost
        does it.
        <snipped/>
        Hey Josh:

        I found out about GovTrack while looking into SemWeb. All of
        the "<snipped/>" info you provided above is very helpful to me.

        It is interesting to me that one part is not really programming at
        all. This is the "curation" piece. Coming up with all of
        the "knowledge links" between datasets should just be a semantic task
        [maybe there are no tools to help].

        But I can guess that this can be helped by code to link all of
        the "Clinton" [in GovTrack] references to "Hillary/Bill/New
        York/Arkansas" [in Wiki/DBPedia].

        With some stuff I think about, the first question is: how hard is
        this curation? Can this be done with Protege
        [http://protege.stanford.edu/%5d?

        Then if we do update GovTrack with all this, what happens when
        GovTrack is refreshed?

        Regards..RogerW
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 8, 2008
          Roger Williams wrote:
          > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:
          >> The data is marginally interlinked. For instance, their New York
          > resource:
          >> http://dbpedia.org/resource/New_York
          >> is owl:sameAs'd to my New York resource:
          >> http://www.rdfabout.com/rdf/usgov/geo/us/ny
          >>
          >> This was done based on their previously existing owl:sameAs links
          > to the
          >> Geonames dataset, and then the links I created between Geonames and
          > my
          >> Census data set (http://www.rdfabout.com/demo/census). That's the
          > extent
          >> of the interlinking --- otherwise the datasets don't connect at
          > all. No
          >> politician interlinking, for instance. (Also see:
          >> http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Interlinking)
          >>
          > Yeah...I looked at this DBPedia page before. What I got confused
          > about is that it has a bubble for "US Census Data" and
          > then "GovTrack" is grey-ed. There is no legend for this graphic.
          >
          > Do you know what the "grey-ed" bubbles connote? Is this like more
          > than one "degree of separation"?

          Yes, I think. The diagram is the generic Linking Open Data diagram that
          shows all of the datasets in the LOD community. Besides DBPedia, the
          highlighted ones are those which DBPedia itself asserts owl:sameAs links
          to. The US Census Data refers to my Census data set which has the
          geographic identifiers, and then hanging off of that (the GovTrack
          bubble) is the political side to my data.

          > But I can guess that this can be helped by code to link all of
          > the "Clinton" [in GovTrack] references to "Hillary/Bill/New
          > York/Arkansas" [in Wiki/DBPedia].
          >
          > With some stuff I think about, the first question is: how hard is
          > this curation? Can this be done with Protege
          > [http://protege.stanford.edu/%5d?

          Identifying connections isn't hard to do by hand except that there are a
          lot of connections to identify, and it's more efficient if you can write
          a program to do it en mass. For Members of Congress, ok, there are only
          435 now, but there are some 10,000 looking back to 1786 (or whatever),
          plus there are some 75,000 geographic entities that might be related
          between data sets.

          > Then if we do update GovTrack with all this, what happens when
          > GovTrack is refreshed?

          Whatever connections are made would be stored in its own file, and since
          the identifiers for things are stable, it would continue to make sense
          as data is updated.