Re: Working on Govtrack

  • Harvey Frey
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 8:58 PM
      Josh:

          I was looking through your "active legislation" page, to try an find a short interesting bill I could practice my inchoate perl skills on, and found it very difficult to find the meat for all the trash.

          Is there a way to toggle a filter for that list, to get rid of all the resolutions, post office namings, and other items that get in the way of finding the interesting stuff?

          Also, do you have a list somewhere of the more useful scripts you use on the bills?

          I thought for a start I might try to make a hyperlinked TOC of the major sections of the bill, and the code sections affected. Perhaps you've already done that easy stuff.

      Harvey

      =========================
      Harvey S. Frey MD PhD Esq.
      hsfrey@...  www.harp.org
      =========================
      "The three chief virtues of a programmer are:
      Laziness, Impatience and Hubris."
      Larry Wall
      =====================================
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 5:29 AM
        Harvey Frey wrote:
        > I was looking through your "active legislation" page, to try an find
        > a short interesting bill I could practice my inchoate perl skills on,
        > and found it very difficult to find the meat for all the trash.
        >
        > Is there a way to toggle a filter for that list, to get rid of all
        > the resolutions, post office namings, and other items that get in the
        > way of finding the interesting stuff?

        No...

        > Also, do you have a list somewhere of the more useful scripts you
        > use on the bills?

        No, and those scripts aren't even posted publicly (yet). They're
        probably virtually incoherent.

        > I thought for a start I might try to make a hyperlinked TOC of the
        > major sections of the bill, and the code sections affected. Perhaps
        > you've already done that easy stuff.

        I have a thing that marks up references to the U.S.C. when it appears
        like "(## U.S.C. ##)". You can see what I do by comparing what I get
        from THOMAS (more or less):

        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/110/s/s2457rfh.html

        http://www.govtrack.us/data/us/bills.text/110/s/s1319is.gen.html

        The .gen.html files also mark changes since the previous version and are
        getting paragraph ids (in the works).

        For doing a TOC, the most useful thing would probably be to find
        paragraphs that are TOC entries and then adding an attribute to the node
        that references the paragraph later on where the section starts (and
        maybe similarly from the later paragraph to the TOC entry).