Re: [govtrack] I need help!

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
      Pierre Demester wrote:
      > I'm a little confused
      > - Coldfusion (proprietary add-on to a graphic package) ???

      Okay, okay, let's not have this list turn into a discussion about
      programming languages.

      The priority should be finding a *civic project* to work on, not what
      language to use for the project. Project first, language second.

      Josh
    • Gabe Hamilton
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
        Hi Josh,
            I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few months.  My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start with some of the higher priority items.

        My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development group?  Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but there  are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just as much traffic.

        Some examples of things that could be discussed in a new group:
          Since GovTrack is in .NET and Perl, is there a way for PHP/Python/Ada programmers to contribute?
          Should GovTrack use a DB as well as XML?
          Anyone know how X works?
          I get error Y when running piece Z of govtrack, anyone know why?

        I think Yahoo Groups will do polls, do you want to create a poll for whether a development group is needed?

        -Gabe

        Gabe Hamilton

        On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

        Hi guys.

        With the recent discussion about writing bills on a wiki, I know there
        are people here with good technical skills! So I'm writing my periodical
        pitch to get some help with GovTrack. If you want to earn some money
        helping GovTrack, that might also be possible to arrange.

        I've been expanding my list of project ideas here:
        http://wiki.govtrack.us/index.php/Projects

        Here are a few:
        - Display on a bill page a list of sections of the U.S. Code that would
        be modified, by looking for references in the bill text.
        - Researching what the different types of votes are (like 'motion to
        recommit with instructions') and adding explanatory text to the site.
        - Tagging bills (crowd-sourcing)
        - Make the website fully compliant with accessibility standards

        Need I say that GovTrack is quite popular and your contributions will
        benefit thousands of people each day? :)

        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
          Gabe Hamilton wrote:
          > Hi Josh,
          > I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few
          > months. My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start
          > with some of the higher priority items.

          Hey, Gabe.

          Glad to hear you could help out. Don't flake out on me now. :)

          > My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development
          > group? Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but
          > there are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just
          > as much traffic.

          I think when the time comes we'll deal with it then.

          (Any lurkers that have an opinion on what they'd like to receive on this
          list are welcome to email me off list with opinions.)

          Josh