Re: [govtrack] I need help!

  • Dale Moore
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008

      Is c#, .NET or MONO an option?

    • Jeremy Dunck
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
        On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Dale Moore <DaleEMoore@...> wrote:
        > Is c#, .NET or MONO an option?

        In case you didn't see Josh's prior response, quoting:

        > What is your preferred language for the scripts you write to manipulate
        > the bill text?

        I use Perl. If I were to start over again today I'd probably use Python.
        But, to the extent anyone wants to contribute, I would prefer Perl so
        they could reuse my existing routines, but I would gladly accept Python
        and maybe other languages.
      • Pierre Demester
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
          I'm a little confused
          - Coldfusion (proprietary add-on to a graphic package) ???

          Are you saying Coldfusion is a graphic application ?

          -----------------------------------

          As for PHP - it's not a bad language - like any language... it has it's benefits and drawbacks.

          In my own opinion - proprietary is not always a bad choice. Most of the application we develop and have developed - have been for proprietary purposes.

          The scale and use of our applications are always a large consideration when reviewing the range of choices (development languages) available.

          Our actual preferred language is C++... though not very useful as web language - it suffices well for backend development.

          We primarily use it for real-time interaction.

          Pierre

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
            Pierre Demester wrote:
            > I'm a little confused
            > - Coldfusion (proprietary add-on to a graphic package) ???

            Okay, okay, let's not have this list turn into a discussion about
            programming languages.

            The priority should be finding a *civic project* to work on, not what
            language to use for the project. Project first, language second.

            Josh
          • Gabe Hamilton
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
              Hi Josh,
                  I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few months.  My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start with some of the higher priority items.

              My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development group?  Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but there  are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just as much traffic.

              Some examples of things that could be discussed in a new group:
                Since GovTrack is in .NET and Perl, is there a way for PHP/Python/Ada programmers to contribute?
                Should GovTrack use a DB as well as XML?
                Anyone know how X works?
                I get error Y when running piece Z of govtrack, anyone know why?

              I think Yahoo Groups will do polls, do you want to create a poll for whether a development group is needed?

              -Gabe

              Gabe Hamilton

              On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

              Hi guys.

              With the recent discussion about writing bills on a wiki, I know there
              are people here with good technical skills! So I'm writing my periodical
              pitch to get some help with GovTrack. If you want to earn some money
              helping GovTrack, that might also be possible to arrange.

              I've been expanding my list of project ideas here:
              http://wiki.govtrack.us/index.php/Projects

              Here are a few:
              - Display on a bill page a list of sections of the U.S. Code that would
              be modified, by looking for references in the bill text.
              - Researching what the different types of votes are (like 'motion to
              recommit with instructions') and adding explanatory text to the site.
              - Tagging bills (crowd-sourcing)
              - Make the website fully compliant with accessibility standards

              Need I say that GovTrack is quite popular and your contributions will
              benefit thousands of people each day? :)

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
                Gabe Hamilton wrote:
                > Hi Josh,
                > I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few
                > months. My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start
                > with some of the higher priority items.

                Hey, Gabe.

                Glad to hear you could help out. Don't flake out on me now. :)

                > My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development
                > group? Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but
                > there are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just
                > as much traffic.

                I think when the time comes we'll deal with it then.

                (Any lurkers that have an opinion on what they'd like to receive on this
                list are welcome to email me off list with opinions.)

                Josh