Re: [govtrack] I need help!

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
      Pierre Demester wrote:
      > any thoughts of using Coldfusion ?

      I actually don't know the first thing about ColdFusion.

    • Pierre Demester
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
        Coldfusion is similar to ASP (Microsoft) and PHP (open source)... in that it is a scripting language.

        PHP has Object Orientation (OO) - whereas Coldfusion (CF) (developed (Jeremy) Allaire and Ben Forta, then sold to Macromedia, bought by Adobe) resembles HTML.

        I, unfortunately have not had the opportunity (not currently cost effective to upgrade) to use CF 8 - which I think includes OO... but I might be incorrect.

        If you know HTML - you can learn CF fairly quickly.
        -- to fully utilize PHP... you need an understanding of OO.. which is a barrier that most people cannot cross.
        --- therefore, most PHP installs are not fully utilized. The "power is there"... the knowledge lacks.

        Another major difference is that PHP is free.
        -- CF starts @ $700... $2500 if you need the Enterprise edition. Most people don't.

        My take - you get what you pay for, Free is nice. There's a price for Quality.

        A third obstable is the installation base. Because PHP is free - there are literally thousands (upon thousands) of companies who "toss in" PHP for free.
        -- PHP is part of the standard linux install. All of my servers have PHP - I rarely use it.

        Because CF has a cost... the number of companies providing hosting services drops dramatically.
        - most companies who switch to CF... provide their own hosting services

        It's the same issues with databases
        -- MySQL (free / open source / hosted by 1000's upon 1000's)
        -- as compared to Microsoft SQL Server (very expensive / professional results).

        Many large entities use CF... Amazon.com, EBay.com, Senate.gov, Jaguar (the car manufacturer)... literally too many to list.
        - the number of PHP / MySql installations are uncountable.

        I think I've even come a Whitehouse.gov section that was CF based.
        -- some entities develop their entire site with CF - others only develop a portion.

        CF works with Sun Solaris, Windows IIS, and Linux.

        Pierre

        I actually don't know the first thing about ColdFusion.

        http://razor. occams.info

      • Derek Willis
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
          Please, please, not cold fusion. -1 (or as many as I can muster).

          Derek Willis
          dwillis@...
          http://www.thescoop.org/docs/
        • Pierre Demester
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
            there ya go. I knew there would be at least one.

            Pierre

            ____________ _________ _________ __
            href="mailto:govtrack%40yahoogroups.com">govtrack@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:govtrack@yahoogroup s.com] On Behalf

            wrote:
            >> any thoughts of using Coldfusion ?
            >
            > I actually
            don't know the first thing about ColdFusion.

            > --
            > - Josh
            Tauberer

            href="http://razor.occams.info">http://razor. occams.info

            > falsehood when
            preceded by its quotation!" Achilles to
            > Tortoise (in "Godel, Escher,
            Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter)

            Derek Willis
            dwillis@gmail. com
            http://www.thescoop .org/docs/

          • Mark Fredrickson
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
              I call "bikeshed" on this discussion[1]. Code is gold: if you can write something in Coldfusion, do so. If you can write it in something else, do so.

              Best of luck,
              -M

            • Neil Rest
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
                Code has to be maintained.
                When a development project goes live, less than half its full
                life-cycle cost has been spent; the rest is modification.
                Personally, I'm thumbs up on PHP (objects available, not mandatory,
                btw), and thumbs down on ColdFusion (proprietary add-on to a graphics
                package), but regardless, one of the first rules of good code is Make
                it readable, Make it modifiable.
                It might run like gold and still be bad code.

                At 09:27 AM 7/2/2008, Mark Fredrickson <mark.m.fredrickson@...> wrote:
                >I call "bikeshed" on this discussion[1]. Code is gold: if you can
                >write something in Coldfusion, do so. If you can write it in
                >something else, do so.
                >
                >Best of luck,
                >-M
                >
                >[1] <http://www.bikeshed.com/>http://www.bikeshed.com/ and
                ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed
                >
                >On Jul 2, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Derek Willis wrote:
                >
                >>Please, please, not cold fusion. -1 (or as many as I can muster).
                >>
                >>On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Pierre Demester
                >><<mailto:pierre%40in.ternet.us>pierre@...! .us> wrote:
                >> > Coldfusion is similar to ASP (Microsoft) and PHP (open
                >> source)... in that it
                >> > is a scripting language.
                >> >
                >> > PHP has Object Orientation (OO) - whereas Coldfusion (CF) (developed
                >> > (Jeremy) Allaire and Ben Forta, then sold to Macromedia, bought by Adobe)
                >> > resembles HTML.

                Neil
                --
                NeilRest@...

                Plato had defined the human being as an animal, biped and
                featherless, and was applauded. Diogenes plucked a fowl and brought
                it into the lecture-room with the words, 'Here is Plato's human
                being.' In consequence of which there was added to the definition,
                'having broad nails'.
              • Pierre Demester
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
                  i agree

                  Pierre

                  I call "bikeshed" on this discussion[1] . Code is gold: if you can write something in Coldfusion, do so. If you can write it in something else, do so.

                  Best of luck,
                  -M

                  On Jul 2, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Derek Willis wrote:

                  Please, please, not cold fusion. -1 (or as many as I can muster).

                  On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Pierre Demester <pierre@.... us> wrote:
                  > Coldfusion is similar to ASP (Microsoft) and PHP (open source)... in that it
                  > is a scripting language.
                  >
                  > PHP has Object Orientation (OO) - whereas Coldfusion (CF) (developed
                  > (Jeremy) Allaire and Ben Forta, then sold to Macromedia, bought by Adobe)
                  > resembles HTML.
                  >
                  > I, unfortunately have not had the opportunity (not currently cost effective
                  > to upgrade) to use CF 8 - which I think includes OO... but I might be
                  > incorrect.
                  >
                  > If you know HTML - you can learn CF fairly quickly.
                  > -- to fully utilize PHP... you need an understanding of OO.. which is a
                  > barrier that most people cannot cross.
                  > --- therefore, most PHP installs are not fully utilized. The "power is
                  > there"... the knowledge lacks.
                  >
                  > Another major difference is that PHP is free.
                  > -- CF starts @ $700... $2500 if you need the Enterprise edition. Most people
                  > don't.
                  >
                  > My take - you get what you pay for, Free is nice. There's a price for
                  > Quality.
                  >
                  > A third obstable is the installation base. Because PHP is free - there are
                  > literally thousands (upon thousands) of companies who "toss in" PHP for
                  > free.
                  > -- PHP is part of the standard linux install. All of my servers have PHP - I
                  > rarely use it.
                  >
                  > Because CF has a cost... the number of companies providing hosting services
                  > drops dramatically.
                  > - most companies who switch to CF... provide their own hosting services
                  >
                  > It's the same issues with databases
                  > -- MySQL (free / open source / hosted by 1000's upon 1000's)
                  > -- as compared to Microsoft SQL Server (very expensive / professional
                  > results).
                  >
                  > Many large entities use CF... Amazon.com, EBay.com, Senate.gov, Jaguar (the
                  > car manufacturer) ... literally too many to list.
                  > - the number of PHP / MySql installations are uncountable.
                  >
                  > I think I've even come a Whitehouse.gov section that was CF based.
                  > -- some entities develop their entire site with CF - others only develop a
                  > portion.
                  >
                  > CF works with Sun Solaris, Windows IIS, and Linux.
                  >
                  > Pierre
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ __

                • Dale Moore
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008

                    Is c#, .NET or MONO an option?

                  • Jeremy Dunck
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
                      On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Dale Moore <DaleEMoore@...> wrote:
                      > Is c#, .NET or MONO an option?

                      In case you didn't see Josh's prior response, quoting:

                      > What is your preferred language for the scripts you write to manipulate
                      > the bill text?

                      I use Perl. If I were to start over again today I'd probably use Python.
                      But, to the extent anyone wants to contribute, I would prefer Perl so
                      they could reuse my existing routines, but I would gladly accept Python
                      and maybe other languages.
                    • Pierre Demester
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
                        I'm a little confused
                        - Coldfusion (proprietary add-on to a graphic package) ???

                        Are you saying Coldfusion is a graphic application ?

                        -----------------------------------

                        As for PHP - it's not a bad language - like any language... it has it's benefits and drawbacks.

                        In my own opinion - proprietary is not always a bad choice. Most of the application we develop and have developed - have been for proprietary purposes.

                        The scale and use of our applications are always a large consideration when reviewing the range of choices (development languages) available.

                        Our actual preferred language is C++... though not very useful as web language - it suffices well for backend development.

                        We primarily use it for real-time interaction.

                        Pierre

                        At 09:27 AM 7/2/2008, Mark Fredrickson <mark.m.fredrickson@ gmail.com> wrote:

                        >I call "bikeshed" on this discussion[1] . Code is gold: if you
                        can
                        >write something in Coldfusion, do so. If you can write it in
                        >something else, do so.
                        >
                        >Best of
                        luck,

                        href="http://www.bikeshed.com/">http://www.bikeshed .com/>http://www.bikeshed .com/ and
                        href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_of_the_bikeshed">http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Color_of_ the_bikeshed>http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Color_of_ the_bikeshed

                        href="mailto:pierre%40in.ternet">pierre@...! .us> wrote:
                        >> > Coldfusion is similar to ASP (Microsoft) and PHP (open
                        >> source)... in that it
                        >> > is a scripting
                        language.

                        >> > PHP has Object Orientation (OO) -
                        whereas Coldfusion (CF) (developed
                        >> > (Jeremy) Allaire and Ben
                        Forta, then sold to Macromedia, bought by Adobe)
                        >> > resembles
                        HTML.

                        Neil
                        --
                        NeilRest@rcn. com

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 2, 2008
                          Pierre Demester wrote:
                          > I'm a little confused
                          > - Coldfusion (proprietary add-on to a graphic package) ???

                          Okay, okay, let's not have this list turn into a discussion about
                          programming languages.

                          The priority should be finding a *civic project* to work on, not what
                          language to use for the project. Project first, language second.

                          Josh
                        • Gabe Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
                            Hi Josh,
                                I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few months.  My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start with some of the higher priority items.

                            My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development group?  Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but there  are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just as much traffic.

                            Some examples of things that could be discussed in a new group:
                              Since GovTrack is in .NET and Perl, is there a way for PHP/Python/Ada programmers to contribute?
                              Should GovTrack use a DB as well as XML?
                              Anyone know how X works?
                              I get error Y when running piece Z of govtrack, anyone know why?

                            I think Yahoo Groups will do polls, do you want to create a poll for whether a development group is needed?

                            -Gabe

                            Gabe Hamilton

                            On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

                            Hi guys.

                            With the recent discussion about writing bills on a wiki, I know there
                            are people here with good technical skills! So I'm writing my periodical
                            pitch to get some help with GovTrack. If you want to earn some money
                            helping GovTrack, that might also be possible to arrange.

                            I've been expanding my list of project ideas here:
                            http://wiki.govtrack.us/index.php/Projects

                            Here are a few:
                            - Display on a bill page a list of sections of the U.S. Code that would
                            be modified, by looking for references in the bill text.
                            - Researching what the different types of votes are (like 'motion to
                            recommit with instructions') and adding explanatory text to the site.
                            - Tagging bills (crowd-sourcing)
                            - Make the website fully compliant with accessibility standards

                            Need I say that GovTrack is quite popular and your contributions will
                            benefit thousands of people each day? :)

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 3, 2008
                              Gabe Hamilton wrote:
                              > Hi Josh,
                              > I have some availability to work on GovTrack over the next few
                              > months. My interest is in state legislation, however I'm happy to start
                              > with some of the higher priority items.

                              Hey, Gabe.

                              Glad to hear you could help out. Don't flake out on me now. :)

                              > My question is, would it make sense to start a govtrack-development
                              > group? Obviously we don't want to debate programming languages, but
                              > there are probably some architectural questions that will inspire just
                              > as much traffic.

                              I think when the time comes we'll deal with it then.

                              (Any lurkers that have an opinion on what they'd like to receive on this
                              list are welcome to email me off list with opinions.)

                              Josh