Re: [govtrack] List of Featured Bills

  • Ralph Yozzo
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
      Almost any editor can be used to create an XML document.

      I prefer vi or vim, but even notepad can do it.

      For the wiki,  it's mostly text based.  cut and paste is usually what people use to input data.

      moderation, etc is dependent on the wiki chosen.

      For the featured bill XML for http://peoples-vote.brooklynmarathon.com, it's very simple.  A title and a link.  It looks complicated but it's really very simple.  Currently it is in RSS2 XML format, but if simpler XML is better for everyone I can support that.

      <rss version="2.0"><channel xml:space="preserve">
          <title>Introduced Legislation -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>
          <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=misc:introducedbills</link>
          <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the following categories: Introduced Legislation</description>

          <generator>GovTrack.us &lt;comments@...&gt;</generator>
          <copyright>This data is left in the public domain.</copyright>

          <pubDate>Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:00:00 -0400</pubDate>
          <ttl>360</ttl>

          <image>
              <url>http://www.govtrack.us/media/logo32x32.png</url>
              <title>GovTrack.us</title>
              <link>http://www.govtrack.us</link>
          </image>

          <item xml:space="preserve">
                          <pubDate>Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:00:00 -0400</pubDate>
                          <category domain="http://www.govtrack.us/congress/subjects.xpd?type=crs">
                                  Introduced Legislation
                              </category>
                          <title>Bill Action: Introduced:  FEATURED: H. Res. 799: Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, of high crimes... -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>
          <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=bill:hr110-799</link>
          <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the following categories: H. Res. 799: Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, of high crimes...</description>

                      </item>
      </channel></rss>

      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Harvey Frey <hsfrey@...> wrote:

      Ralph:

      >available in XML format <

      So, OpenOffice would be good to go? That's XML, right?
      I've got an "ERISA Clarification Act" ready to post.

      But, how would it be loaded into a wiki? Who would moderate changes or
      discussions?

      Harvey

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
        There's another *free* editor like notepad, but with a really neat
        feature (one of many) called a "Clip". Double clicking the Clip will
        pop up a 'fill in the blanks' window saving your a *lot* of typing
        and typos. Here's the download URL:

        http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

        Download, install and open.

        Below is a clip I made (and tested) from Ralph's example that you can
        copy into the NoteTab clip library. F4 opens the NoteTab clip panel.
        You can choose where you want the Clip to reside. I used the HTML
        clip tab and added (copy & pasted) the GovTrack clip by rightClicking
        the "OtherElements" heading. Type in your Clip name and copy the code
        below into the new window that opens,then click the Save icon. Now
        you can open a new file (or an existing one) and double click on the
        Clip name to 'fill in the blanks' creating the code you want.

        -= Begin copy of Clip below (I named the Clip "GovTrack") =-

        <rss version="2.0">
        <channel xml:space="preserve">
        <title>Introduced Legislation -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>

        <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?
        monitors=misc:introducedbills</link>
        <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the
        following categories: Introduced Legislation</description>

        <generator>GovTrack.us <comments@...<lt
        %3Bcomments@...> ></generator>
        <copyright>This data is left in the public domain.</copyright>

        <pubDate>^?[WeekDay=Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun], ^?
        [DayOfMonth=01|10|20|30] ^?[Month=Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|
        Oct|Nov|Dec] ^?[Year=2004|2005|2006|2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|2012] ^?
        [Hour=00]:^?[Minute=00]:^?[Second=00] -^?[GMTdiff=0400|0500|0600|0700|
        0800]</pubDate>
        <ttl>360</ttl>

        <image>
        <url>http://www.govtrack.us/media/logo32x32.png</url>
        <title>GovTrack.us</title>
        <link>http://www.govtrack.us</link>
        </image>

        <item xml:space="preserve">
        <pubDate>^?[Weekday=], ^?[DayOfMonth=] ^?[Month=] ^?[Year=] ^?
        [Hour=]:^?[Minute=]:^?[Second=] -^?[GMTdiff=]</pubDate>
        <category domain="http://www.govtrack.us/congress/subjects.xpd?
        type=crs"> Introduced Legislation </category>
        <title>Bill Action: ^?[Action=Introduced|Passed]: FEATURED: ^?
        [HorS=H|S]. Res. ^?[BillNo=]: ^?[BillTitle=Replace this text with
        Bill Title here]... -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>

        <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=bill:^?
        [LChors=h|s]r^?[LoNum=0000]-^?[HiNum=9999]</link>
        <description>^?[Description=Replace this text with bill
        description here]...</description>
        </item>
        </channel>
        </rss>

        -= End copy of Clip above (Last line = "</rss>") =-

        I've tested it, but Ralph may want it modified a bit.

        HTH......Ron