Re: [govtrack] List of Featured Bills

  • Harvey Frey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 26, 2008
      Ralph:

          I'd like to also let users work to write NEW bills, and then try to find congresspeople who might submit it.

          The bills that are already before congress have mostly been written by industry lobbyists. How about giving the rest of us a chance?

      Harvey

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 26, 2008
          Ralph:

          >available in XML format <

          So, OpenOffice would be good to go? That's XML, right?
          I've got an "ERISA Clarification Act" ready to post.

          But, how would it be loaded into a wiki? Who would moderate changes or
          discussions?

          Harvey

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
            Almost any editor can be used to create an XML document.

            I prefer vi or vim, but even notepad can do it.

            For the wiki,  it's mostly text based.  cut and paste is usually what people use to input data.

            moderation, etc is dependent on the wiki chosen.

            For the featured bill XML for http://peoples-vote.brooklynmarathon.com, it's very simple.  A title and a link.  It looks complicated but it's really very simple.  Currently it is in RSS2 XML format, but if simpler XML is better for everyone I can support that.

            <rss version="2.0"><channel xml:space="preserve">
                <title>Introduced Legislation -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>
                <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=misc:introducedbills</link>
                <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the following categories: Introduced Legislation</description>

                <generator>GovTrack.us &lt;comments@...&gt;</generator>
                <copyright>This data is left in the public domain.</copyright>

                <pubDate>Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:00:00 -0400</pubDate>
                <ttl>360</ttl>

                <image>
                    <url>http://www.govtrack.us/media/logo32x32.png</url>
                    <title>GovTrack.us</title>
                    <link>http://www.govtrack.us</link>
                </image>

                <item xml:space="preserve">
                                <pubDate>Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:00:00 -0400</pubDate>
                                <category domain="http://www.govtrack.us/congress/subjects.xpd?type=crs">
                                        Introduced Legislation
                                    </category>
                                <title>Bill Action: Introduced:  FEATURED: H. Res. 799: Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, of high crimes... -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>
                <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=bill:hr110-799</link>
                <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the following categories: H. Res. 799: Impeaching Richard B. Cheney, Vice President of the United States, of high crimes...</description>

                            </item>
            </channel></rss>

            Ralph:

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
              There's another *free* editor like notepad, but with a really neat
              feature (one of many) called a "Clip". Double clicking the Clip will
              pop up a 'fill in the blanks' window saving your a *lot* of typing
              and typos. Here's the download URL:

              http://www.notetab.com/ntl.php

              Download, install and open.

              Below is a clip I made (and tested) from Ralph's example that you can
              copy into the NoteTab clip library. F4 opens the NoteTab clip panel.
              You can choose where you want the Clip to reside. I used the HTML
              clip tab and added (copy & pasted) the GovTrack clip by rightClicking
              the "OtherElements" heading. Type in your Clip name and copy the code
              below into the new window that opens,then click the Save icon. Now
              you can open a new file (or an existing one) and double click on the
              Clip name to 'fill in the blanks' creating the code you want.

              -= Begin copy of Clip below (I named the Clip "GovTrack") =-

              <rss version="2.0">
              <channel xml:space="preserve">
              <title>Introduced Legislation -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>

              <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?
              monitors=misc:introducedbills</link>
              <description>Legislative events tracked by GovTrack.us in the
              following categories: Introduced Legislation</description>

              <generator>GovTrack.us <comments@...<lt
              %3Bcomments@...> ></generator>
              <copyright>This data is left in the public domain.</copyright>

              <pubDate>^?[WeekDay=Mon|Tue|Wed|Thu|Fri|Sat|Sun], ^?
              [DayOfMonth=01|10|20|30] ^?[Month=Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|Jun|Jul|Aug|Sep|
              Oct|Nov|Dec] ^?[Year=2004|2005|2006|2007|2008|2009|2010|2011|2012] ^?
              [Hour=00]:^?[Minute=00]:^?[Second=00] -^?[GMTdiff=0400|0500|0600|0700|
              0800]</pubDate>
              <ttl>360</ttl>

              <image>
              <url>http://www.govtrack.us/media/logo32x32.png</url>
              <title>GovTrack.us</title>
              <link>http://www.govtrack.us</link>
              </image>

              <item xml:space="preserve">
              <pubDate>^?[Weekday=], ^?[DayOfMonth=] ^?[Month=] ^?[Year=] ^?
              [Hour=]:^?[Minute=]:^?[Second=] -^?[GMTdiff=]</pubDate>
              <category domain="http://www.govtrack.us/congress/subjects.xpd?
              type=crs"> Introduced Legislation </category>
              <title>Bill Action: ^?[Action=Introduced|Passed]: FEATURED: ^?
              [HorS=H|S]. Res. ^?[BillNo=]: ^?[BillTitle=Replace this text with
              Bill Title here]... -- Tracked by GovTrack.us</title>

              <link>http://www.govtrack.us/users/events.xpd?monitors=bill:^?
              [LChors=h|s]r^?[LoNum=0000]-^?[HiNum=9999]</link>
              <description>^?[Description=Replace this text with bill
              description here]...</description>
              </item>
              </channel>
              </rss>

              -= End copy of Clip above (Last line = "</rss>") =-

              I've tested it, but Ralph may want it modified a bit.

              HTH......Ron