Re: question about voting

  • tay199
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 24, 2008
      So what do you guys have in mind? Is as simple as "write-a-bill" with
      wiki backbone? If so, this is very doable.

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, "Harvey Frey" <hsfrey@...> wrote:

      > Josh:
      >
      > So what you're saying is that the technical issues raised by
      tay199 are irrelevant, since there is no practical way to get the
      attention of any congresspeople, short of arriving with large checks
      in hand.

      > I don't know that that's necessarily so, since I've been asked,
      out of the blue, (just on the basis of my website) to help a
      congressman and later a senator draft legislation on the ERISA issue.

      > Of course, neither of them paid any attention to what I wrote. <G>
      > But I think that's because they were both republicans and not
      sympathetic to my more patient-oriented initiatives.

      > So, I wouldn't be completely pessimistic, given that we may have
      a new congress more interested in new approaches.

      > Harvey

    • Ralph Yozzo

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 25, 2008
          tay199 wrote:
          > So what do you guys have in mind? Is as simple as "write-a-bill" with
          > wiki backbone? If so, this is very doable.

          I'm happy to host a wiki for this if there are people willing to
          maintain it.

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 25, 2008
            Harvey Frey wrote:
            > So what you're saying is that the technical issues raised by tay199
            > are irrelevant, since there is no practical way to get the attention of
            > any congresspeople, short of arriving with large checks in hand.

            I'm just saying that something simple isn't very likely to have any real
            effect. There has to be real innovation somewhere.

            > I don't know that that's necessarily so, since I've been asked, out
            > of the blue, (just on the basis of my website) to help a congressman and
            > later a senator draft legislation on the ERISA issue.
            >
            > Of course, neither of them paid any attention to what I wrote. <G>
            > But I think that's because they were both republicans and not
            > sympathetic to my more patient-oriented initiatives.

            I'm glad to hear that that happened. Maybe the problem isn't quite as
            big as I thought.

          • Harvey Frey
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 26, 2008
              The engine used by wikipedia is available for free for non-profit use at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki.

              I had once thought of using it on my own website, but I think it's beyond my technical skills.

                  A couple of others that looked attractive were Midgard Wiki and MoinMoin. An extensive comparison is at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_software

              I'd be happy to moderate (and I think it SHOULD be moderated, to avoid wikipedia-style edit wars) the discussion on ERISA and health care.

              As for a legislator willing to consider hoppering a bill to fix ERISA, I notice that Jean Shaheen, running in New Hampshire, has expressly made that part of her platform.

              Harvey

              > So what do you guys have in mind? Is as simple as "write-a-bill" with
              > wiki backbone? If so, this is very doable.

              I'm happy to host a wiki for this if there are people willing to
              maintain it.

              http://razor. occams.info

            • Ralph Yozzo
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 26, 2008
                I would love to volunteer for technical tasks.  Especially for web app programming, etc.  As time permits.

                I've installed a lot of wiki's, calendars, credit card/debit card processing for many clubs, etc.

                the credit card/debit card processing is also free for nonprofits.