Re: [govtrack] dataset for data mining

  • Neil Drumm
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

      > Neil Drumm wrote:
      > > I am doing a presentation on this tomorrow in Sunnyvale, CA at the
      > > News Tools Drupal day,
      > > http://www.mediagiraffe.org/wiki/index.php/Jtm-sv-drupal.
      >
      > If you have slides, please post them here!

      I will have some sample code once I write it. Let me know if you have
      any quick ideas for integrating GovTrack data with journalism. My
      current plan is:
      - A couple straightforward tables of votes to cover the basics.
      - Text filter for something like '<a title="S.Roll 123">the bill
      passed</a>' to '<a href="[url]" title="S.Roll 123">the bill passed
      [small sparklike-like graph]</a>'.

      --
      Neil Drumm
      http://delocalizedham.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Thanks very much, Neil. Your solution will take me much closer to my
        goal.

        I've used Drupal before and even went to the 2006 Vancouver
        conference, so I'm glad to hear plugins are still seeing explosive
        growth for that great CMS.

        ~Tom
      • Neil Drumm
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2008
          On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Josh Tauberer <tauberer@...> wrote:

          > Neil Drumm wrote:
          > > I am doing a presentation on this tomorrow in Sunnyvale, CA at the
          > > News Tools Drupal day,
          > > http://www.mediagiraffe.org/wiki/index.php/Jtm-sv-drupal.
          >
          > If you have slides, please post them here!

          I did not use slides. The presentation was:
          * Brief tour of maplight.org
          * Brief tour of themiddleclass.org
          * Explanation of where the data comes from, Thomas, GovTrack, and SunLight API
          * Demonstration of example code at
          http://cvs.drupal.org/viewvc.py/drupal/contributions/modules/legislature/examples/
          ** Example 1 is a table of recent roll votes by Clinton, Obama, and
          McCain. They have been missing a lot of votes.
          ** Example 2 changes
          <a title="House vote #233">House vote</a>
          into
          <a title="House vote #233"
          href="http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-233">House
          vote</a> (passed 247 to 165)
          using Drupal's filter API, which covers all posting/blog/article/node text.

          --
          Neil Drumm
          http://delocalizedham.com