Re: [govtrack] Announcing OGDEX

  • Jeremy Dunck
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
      On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:31:35 -0500, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

      > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
      > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
      > with such a beast?

      Yes, there are concerns... If you think of Wikipedia as a success,
      you're likely to discount those concerns.

      Wikis are editable by anyone, but they also have revision histories,
      which allows anyone to revert changes someone else makes.

      Which makes it pretty damage resistant. But it's conceivable that
      malicious users could introduce incorrect info, and it would not be
      caught by the other users.

      There's a raging debate going on over whether Wikipedia should be
      trusted as a second source. I don't want to get into that here.

      Short version: wikis are great for collaboration, and seem to do well
      in general. Whether they are trustworthy without independent
      verification on topics of politics and power is a separate question.

      As for me, I wouldn't tend to trust information on such topics from
      -any- single source. So to me, a wiki in this context is all upside.