RE: [govtrack] Launching a New Site

  • Jeff Fischer
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
      It may end up being an interesting competition then.

      Jeff

      From: jeffreymfischer@...
      To: tay199@...
      Subject: RE: [govtrack] Launching a New Site
      Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:41:20 -0800

      I was hoping nobody would mention facebook.  My previous comment was slightly out of frustration because I've already been in development working on the exact same concept except on facebook.

      I *am* a domestic SQL Server/.NET developer (ex-Microsoft, 7 years).  So, seeing you get to market prior to me is a slight frustration. ;-)  Whomever did the site looks like they did a fairly comprehensive job.  Although, there are several things I can see that I would have done differently or would make enhancements.

      If I can complete my facebook app, you'll have fierce competition.  Hopefully you didn't spend too much money on the India development.

      Just to show you there's no hard feelings, have you seen the IE javascript bug on your site that maxes out the CPU?  I haven't looked into it in detail, but I'm using IE ver 7.0.5370.11.  It doesn't repro in Firefox.  Here are the repro steps:

      Go to http://www.govit.com in IE 7.
      Scroll down part way on the page to the "House of Representatives" control on the right side of the page.
      Hold Ctrl+Shift+Esc, go to the Processes tab of Task Manager.
      Click the CPU column header to sort the processes in descending order of CPU consumption and notice iexplore.exe at >50%.

      Hopefully they designed the backend of the application to scale out.  If you're projecting the success I am, you'll need to scale it out quickly.  Then again, that's a good problem to have.  Although, without tapping into a massive user base like facebook you're application won't have the potential to grow exponentially.  If there's any chance you would consider partnering on development, I'm very passionate about the topic and in the process of growing my own custom development company here in Washington.

      Sorry for the terse comment initially.  You can imagine it was a disappointment having already invested time/energy into the project.

      Thanks,
      Jeff

      To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
      From: dale@...
      Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:16:12 -0800

      looks cool ...its good to see a site pushing the concept of direct
      democracy ;) ... i suggest doing a version as a facebook app ;)

      peace,
      michael

      tay199 wrote:

      > I'm launching my site govit.com.
      >
      > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
      > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
      > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
      >
      > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
      > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
      > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
      > so I made govit.
      >
      > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
      > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
      >
      > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Taylor Norrish

    • tay199
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
        Thank you very much for the specific feedback.

        > 4. At that same URL you can click on a party, but nothing seems to
        > happen if you do

        Working on this, ASAP.

        > 5. If there are 0 govit members in a district, how could you get a
        > count of how many agree or disagree? I'm not totally clear on that
        > stat, for instance, I'm looking at Wayne Gilchrest, District 1, MD

        :o Working on this ASAP.

        > 6. On login page, provide a link for a new registrant

        Nice point!

        > 7. Great site, but not exactly enamored with the name "govit" It'll do.

        Yeah, I was thinking like... taking control... governing the US. I'm
        glad it's ok.

        > 8. Are you willing to share your congressional map? I got bolluxed
        up last year when working with flash and congressional districts
        because my maps had too darned many points on the boundaries. Looks
        like you've got a terrifically generalized file. Fast loading, and good.

        Yes, I'm planning to open it up, but may take a little while while we
        finish debugging. What is your website?

        I ran into the same problem of "too darned many points". I used this
        tool, and seems to have worked great http://www.mapshaper.org/

        Thanks again.

        Taylor

        > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
        > >
        > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
        > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
        > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
        > >
        > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
        > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
        > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
        > > so I made govit.
        > >
        > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
        > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
        > >
        > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Taylor Norrish

      • Jeff Fischer
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
          As for developers, I recommend myself.   Assuming you read my last e-mail, I have an interest in the topic and I have very capable developers/designers who work for me.

          You're welcome to e-mail me offline if you would like to discuss your project further Tiffiniy.  It may fit into the scheme of my current facebook application under development, which could work out very well and I would be open to discussing.

          Thanks,
          Jeff

          To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
          From: tay199@...
          Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:58:37 +0000
          Subject: [govtrack] Re: Launching a New Site

          Hi Tiffany,

          One of my favorite resources to find programmers is...
          Programmermeetdesig ner.com. For govit, I used the company
          http://www.winitsof tware.com/

          Hmmmm advice... Partners could help, especially with complimentary
          skill sets (designer/programme r/visioneer) . I think choosing a LAMP
          architecture would be a good move too.

          Taylor

          now!<http://club. live.com/ star_shuffle. aspx?icid= starshuffle_ wlmailtextlink_ jan>

          > --