Re: [govtrack] Launching a New Site

  • tiffiniy cheng`
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 27 7:04 PM
      hi,

      I was wondering who you recommend for building websites. I was impressed by the site. I am building a website around legislation also and wanted some good advice. Thanks,

      Tiffiniy

      On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Jeff Fischer <JeffreyMFischer@...> wrote:

      The fact that it was built with an offshore development company is only moderately amusing. ;)

      Jeff

      To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
      From: tay199@...
      Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:19:20 +0000

      Subject: [govtrack] Launching a New Site

      I'm launching my site govit.com.

      It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
      voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
      representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).

      I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
      Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
      where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
      so I made govit.

      I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
      inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.

      Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

      Thank you,

      Taylor Norrish

      Tiffiniy Cheng
    • tiffiniy cheng`

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 28 3:30 AM
          tiffiniy cheng` wrote:
          > oops, sorry to go to the whole list. I meant to go to Jeff. Thanks for
          > your attention.

          Sorry I OK'd the message in the moderation queue before seeing your note.

        • Marjorie Roswell
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 28 8:49 AM
            1. Nice site.
            2. for cases where vote is 100%, no red should appear on the bar.
            3. http://www.govit.com/Pages/UsGovernment.aspx
            Change "house representatives" either to "house of representatives" or
            just "house"
            (Actually, personally I prefer proper case, but I realize that's a
            style choice.)
            4. At that same URL you can click on a party, but nothing seems to
            happen if you do
            5. If there are 0 govit members in a district, how could you get a
            count of how many agree or disagree? I'm not totally clear on that
            stat, for instance, I'm looking at Wayne Gilchrest, District 1, MD
            6. On login page, provide a link for a new registrant
            7. Great site, but not exactly enamored with the name "govit" It'll do.
            8. Are you willing to share your congressional map? I got bolluxed up
            last year when working with flash and congressional districts because
            my maps had too darned many points on the boundaries. Looks like
            you've got a terrifically generalized file. Fast loading, and good.

            On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:

            > I'm launching my site govit.com.
            >
            > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
            > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
            > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
            >
            > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
            > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
            > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
            > so I made govit.
            >
            > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
            > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
            >
            > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Taylor Norrish

          • tay199
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 28 11:58 AM
              Hi Tiffany,

              One of my favorite resources to find programmers is...
              Programmermeetdesigner.com. For govit, I used the company
              http://www.winitsoftware.com/

              Hmmmm advice... Partners could help, especially with complimentary
              skill sets (designer/programmer/visioneer). I think choosing a LAMP
              architecture would be a good move too.

              Taylor

              now!<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan>

              > --
              > Tiffiniy Cheng

            • tay199
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 28 12:01 PM
                Hi Michael,

                Yes, direct democracy! A facebook app would be very cool. I'll start
                working on it :)

                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dale <dale@...> wrote:

                > looks cool ...its good to see a site pushing the concept of direct
                > democracy ;) ... i suggest doing a version as a facebook app ;)
                >
                > peace,
                > michael
                >
                > tay199 wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                > >
                > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                > >
                > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                > > so I made govit.
                > >
                > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                > >
                > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > >
                > > Taylor Norrish

              • Jeff Fischer
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 28 12:05 PM
                  It may end up being an interesting competition then.

                  Jeff

                  From: jeffreymfischer@...
                  To: tay199@...
                  Subject: RE: [govtrack] Launching a New Site
                  Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:41:20 -0800

                  I was hoping nobody would mention facebook.  My previous comment was slightly out of frustration because I've already been in development working on the exact same concept except on facebook.

                  I *am* a domestic SQL Server/.NET developer (ex-Microsoft, 7 years).  So, seeing you get to market prior to me is a slight frustration. ;-)  Whomever did the site looks like they did a fairly comprehensive job.  Although, there are several things I can see that I would have done differently or would make enhancements.

                  If I can complete my facebook app, you'll have fierce competition.  Hopefully you didn't spend too much money on the India development.

                  Just to show you there's no hard feelings, have you seen the IE javascript bug on your site that maxes out the CPU?  I haven't looked into it in detail, but I'm using IE ver 7.0.5370.11.  It doesn't repro in Firefox.  Here are the repro steps:

                  Go to http://www.govit.com in IE 7.
                  Scroll down part way on the page to the "House of Representatives" control on the right side of the page.
                  Hold Ctrl+Shift+Esc, go to the Processes tab of Task Manager.
                  Click the CPU column header to sort the processes in descending order of CPU consumption and notice iexplore.exe at >50%.

                  Hopefully they designed the backend of the application to scale out.  If you're projecting the success I am, you'll need to scale it out quickly.  Then again, that's a good problem to have.  Although, without tapping into a massive user base like facebook you're application won't have the potential to grow exponentially.  If there's any chance you would consider partnering on development, I'm very passionate about the topic and in the process of growing my own custom development company here in Washington.

                  Sorry for the terse comment initially.  You can imagine it was a disappointment having already invested time/energy into the project.

                  Thanks,
                  Jeff

                  To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
                  From: dale@...
                  Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:16:12 -0800

                  tay199 wrote:

                  > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                  >
                  > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                  > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                  > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                  >
                  > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                  > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                  > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                  > so I made govit.
                  >
                  > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                  > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                  >
                  > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                  >
                  > Thank you,
                  >
                  > Taylor Norrish

                • tay199
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 28 12:12 PM
                    Thank you very much for the specific feedback.

                    > 4. At that same URL you can click on a party, but nothing seems to
                    > happen if you do

                    Working on this, ASAP.

                    > 5. If there are 0 govit members in a district, how could you get a
                    > count of how many agree or disagree? I'm not totally clear on that
                    > stat, for instance, I'm looking at Wayne Gilchrest, District 1, MD

                    :o Working on this ASAP.

                    > 6. On login page, provide a link for a new registrant

                    Nice point!

                    > 7. Great site, but not exactly enamored with the name "govit" It'll do.

                    Yeah, I was thinking like... taking control... governing the US. I'm
                    glad it's ok.

                    > 8. Are you willing to share your congressional map? I got bolluxed
                    up last year when working with flash and congressional districts
                    because my maps had too darned many points on the boundaries. Looks
                    like you've got a terrifically generalized file. Fast loading, and good.

                    Yes, I'm planning to open it up, but may take a little while while we
                    finish debugging. What is your website?

                    I ran into the same problem of "too darned many points". I used this
                    tool, and seems to have worked great http://www.mapshaper.org/

                    Thanks again.

                    Taylor

                    > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                    > >
                    > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                    > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                    > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                    > >
                    > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                    > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                    > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                    > > so I made govit.
                    > >
                    > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                    > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                    > >
                    > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                    > >
                    > > Thank you,
                    > >
                    > > Taylor Norrish

                  • Jeff Fischer
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 28 12:16 PM
                      As for developers, I recommend myself.   Assuming you read my last e-mail, I have an interest in the topic and I have very capable developers/designers who work for me.

                      You're welcome to e-mail me offline if you would like to discuss your project further Tiffiniy.  It may fit into the scheme of my current facebook application under development, which could work out very well and I would be open to discussing.

                      Thanks,
                      Jeff

                      To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
                      From: tay199@...
                      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:58:37 +0000
                      Subject: [govtrack] Re: Launching a New Site

                      Hi Tiffany,

                      One of my favorite resources to find programmers is...
                      Programmermeetdesig ner.com. For govit, I used the company
                      http://www.winitsof tware.com/

                      Hmmmm advice... Partners could help, especially with complimentary
                      skill sets (designer/programme r/visioneer) . I think choosing a LAMP
                      architecture would be a good move too.

                      Taylor

                      --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "tiffiniy cheng`" <tycheng@... > wrote:

                      > hi,
                      >
                      > I was wondering who you recommend for building websites. I was
                      impressed by
                      > the site. I am building a website around legislation also and wanted
                      some
                      > good advice. Thanks,
                      >
                      > Tiffiniy
                      >

                      > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Jeff Fischer <JeffreyMFischer@ ...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > The fact that it was built with an offshore development company
                      is only
                      > > moderately amusing. ;)
                      > >
                      > > Jeff
                      > >
                      > > ------------ --------- ---------
                      > > To: govtrack@yahoogroup s.com
                      > > From: tay199@...
                      > > Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:19:20 +0000
                      > > Subject: [govtrack] Launching a New Site
                      > >
                      > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                      > >
                      > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                      > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                      > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                      > >
                      > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                      > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                      > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                      > > so I made govit.
                      > >
                      > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                      > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                      > >
                      > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                      > >
                      > > Thank you,
                      > >
                      > > Taylor Norrish

                      > > Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge
                      with star
                      > > power. Play
                      now!<http://club. live.com/ star_shuffle. aspx?icid= starshuffle_ wlmailtextlink_ jan>

                      > --