Re: [govtrack] Announcing OGDEX

  • Joshua Tauberer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
      TML wrote:
      > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
      > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
      > with such a beast?

      Yeah, and, for instance, I don't put much trust in Wikipedia. But, the
      raw data to be exchanged won't be in the wiki. The things that will be
      on the Wiki are just descriptions of standards, communication between
      visitors, and things like that.

      Bill wrote:
      > I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
      > UniVerse DB.

      Great. You should post a link to it somewhere on the wiki where it
      makes sense.

    • Jeremy Dunck
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
        On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:31:35 -0500, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

        > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
        > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
        > with such a beast?

        Yes, there are concerns... If you think of Wikipedia as a success,
        you're likely to discount those concerns.

        Wikis are editable by anyone, but they also have revision histories,
        which allows anyone to revert changes someone else makes.

        Which makes it pretty damage resistant. But it's conceivable that
        malicious users could introduce incorrect info, and it would not be
        caught by the other users.

        There's a raging debate going on over whether Wikipedia should be
        trusted as a second source. I don't want to get into that here.

        Short version: wikis are great for collaboration, and seem to do well
        in general. Whether they are trustworthy without independent
        verification on topics of politics and power is a separate question.

        As for me, I wouldn't tend to trust information on such topics from
        -any- single source. So to me, a wiki in this context is all upside.