Re: [govtrack] Re: Launching a New Site

  • Lou Klepner
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 26 8:56 AM
      Open source/open data?

      On Feb 26, 2008, at 7:05 AM, tay199 wrote:

      Yeah, I can see the some controversy. Here's the deal... I'm just a
      regular guy and I sourced this to US developers first and just
      couldn't afford it... not even close.

      --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, Jeff Fischer <JeffreyMFischer@ ...> wrote:

      > The fact that it was built with an offshore development company is
      only moderately amusing. ;)

      > Jeff

    • donnaK
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 26 8:19 PM
        This site is WONDERFUL!
        Great job!
        donnaK

        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 27 12:50 AM
          Open someday. I'm still pulling it together big time! :)

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Lou Klepner <lou@...> wrote:

          > Open source/open data?
          >
          > On Feb 26, 2008, at 7:05 AM, tay199 wrote:
          >
          > > Yeah, I can see the some controversy. Here's the deal... I'm just a
          > > regular guy and I sourced this to US developers first and just
          > > couldn't afford it... not even close.
          > >
          > > --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Fischer <JeffreyMFischer@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > The fact that it was built with an offshore development company is
          > > only moderately amusing. ;)
          > > >
          > > > Jeff

        • Michael Dale
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 27 1:16 AM
            looks cool ...its good to see a site pushing the concept of direct
            democracy ;) ... i suggest doing a version as a facebook app ;)

            peace,
            michael

            tay199 wrote:

            > I'm launching my site govit.com.
            >
            > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
            > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
            > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
            >
            > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
            > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
            > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
            > so I made govit.
            >
            > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
            > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
            >
            > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > Taylor Norrish

          • tay199
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 27 10:45 AM
              Thanks you very much :)

              I love building websites, so hope to keep making it better!
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 27 12:54 PM
                tay199 wrote:
                > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                >
                > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                > so I made govit.
                >
                > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                >
                > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

                Nicely done!

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 27 12:55 PM
                  Andrew Lee wrote:
                  > friend of Josh's

                  Hey, now, be careful throwing my name around... :)

                • tiffiniy cheng`
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 27 7:04 PM
                    hi,

                    I was wondering who you recommend for building websites. I was impressed by the site. I am building a website around legislation also and wanted some good advice. Thanks,

                    Tiffiniy

                    To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
                    From: tay199@...
                    Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:19:20 +0000

                    Subject: [govtrack] Launching a New Site

                    I'm launching my site govit.com.

                    It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                    voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                    representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).

                    I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                    Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                    where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                    so I made govit.

                    I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                    inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.

                    Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)

                    Thank you,

                    Taylor Norrish

                    Tiffiniy Cheng
                  • tiffiniy cheng`

                      From: tay199@...
                      Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:19:20 +0000

                      --
                      Tiffiniy Cheng
                    • tay199
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 27 11:18 PM
                        Thank you :) Your site was an inspiration.

                        Govit's clean and nice... but lacking some meaningful content. What's
                        next after bill data and comments?
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 28 3:30 AM
                          tiffiniy cheng` wrote:
                          > oops, sorry to go to the whole list. I meant to go to Jeff. Thanks for
                          > your attention.

                          Sorry I OK'd the message in the moderation queue before seeing your note.

                        • Marjorie Roswell
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 28 8:49 AM
                            1. Nice site.
                            2. for cases where vote is 100%, no red should appear on the bar.
                            3. http://www.govit.com/Pages/UsGovernment.aspx
                            Change "house representatives" either to "house of representatives" or
                            just "house"
                            (Actually, personally I prefer proper case, but I realize that's a
                            style choice.)
                            4. At that same URL you can click on a party, but nothing seems to
                            happen if you do
                            5. If there are 0 govit members in a district, how could you get a
                            count of how many agree or disagree? I'm not totally clear on that
                            stat, for instance, I'm looking at Wayne Gilchrest, District 1, MD
                            6. On login page, provide a link for a new registrant
                            7. Great site, but not exactly enamored with the name "govit" It'll do.
                            8. Are you willing to share your congressional map? I got bolluxed up
                            last year when working with flash and congressional districts because
                            my maps had too darned many points on the boundaries. Looks like
                            you've got a terrifically generalized file. Fast loading, and good.

                            On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:

                            > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                            >
                            > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                            > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                            > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                            >
                            > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                            > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                            > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                            > so I made govit.
                            >
                            > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                            > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                            >
                            > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                            >
                            > Thank you,
                            >
                            > Taylor Norrish

                          • tay199
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 28 11:58 AM
                              Hi Tiffany,

                              One of my favorite resources to find programmers is...
                              Programmermeetdesigner.com. For govit, I used the company
                              http://www.winitsoftware.com/

                              Hmmmm advice... Partners could help, especially with complimentary
                              skill sets (designer/programmer/visioneer). I think choosing a LAMP
                              architecture would be a good move too.

                              Taylor

                              now!<http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan>

                              > --
                              > Tiffiniy Cheng

                            • tay199
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 28 12:01 PM
                                Hi Michael,

                                Yes, direct democracy! A facebook app would be very cool. I'll start
                                working on it :)

                                --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Michael Dale <dale@...> wrote:

                                > looks cool ...its good to see a site pushing the concept of direct
                                > democracy ;) ... i suggest doing a version as a facebook app ;)
                                >
                                > peace,
                                > michael
                                >
                                > tay199 wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                                > >
                                > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                                > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                                > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                                > >
                                > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                                > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                                > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                                > > so I made govit.
                                > >
                                > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                                > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                                > >
                                > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                                > >
                                > > Thank you,
                                > >
                                > > Taylor Norrish

                              • Jeff Fischer
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 28 12:05 PM
                                  It may end up being an interesting competition then.

                                  Jeff

                                  From: jeffreymfischer@...
                                  To: tay199@...
                                  Subject: RE: [govtrack] Launching a New Site
                                  Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:41:20 -0800

                                  I was hoping nobody would mention facebook.  My previous comment was slightly out of frustration because I've already been in development working on the exact same concept except on facebook.

                                  I *am* a domestic SQL Server/.NET developer (ex-Microsoft, 7 years).  So, seeing you get to market prior to me is a slight frustration. ;-)  Whomever did the site looks like they did a fairly comprehensive job.  Although, there are several things I can see that I would have done differently or would make enhancements.

                                  If I can complete my facebook app, you'll have fierce competition.  Hopefully you didn't spend too much money on the India development.

                                  Just to show you there's no hard feelings, have you seen the IE javascript bug on your site that maxes out the CPU?  I haven't looked into it in detail, but I'm using IE ver 7.0.5370.11.  It doesn't repro in Firefox.  Here are the repro steps:

                                  Go to http://www.govit.com in IE 7.
                                  Scroll down part way on the page to the "House of Representatives" control on the right side of the page.
                                  Hold Ctrl+Shift+Esc, go to the Processes tab of Task Manager.
                                  Click the CPU column header to sort the processes in descending order of CPU consumption and notice iexplore.exe at >50%.

                                  Hopefully they designed the backend of the application to scale out.  If you're projecting the success I am, you'll need to scale it out quickly.  Then again, that's a good problem to have.  Although, without tapping into a massive user base like facebook you're application won't have the potential to grow exponentially.  If there's any chance you would consider partnering on development, I'm very passionate about the topic and in the process of growing my own custom development company here in Washington.

                                  Sorry for the terse comment initially.  You can imagine it was a disappointment having already invested time/energy into the project.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Jeff

                                  To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: dale@...
                                  Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:16:12 -0800

                                  tay199 wrote:

                                  > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                                  >
                                  > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                                  > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                                  > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                                  >
                                  > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                                  > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                                  > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                                  > so I made govit.
                                  >
                                  > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                                  > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                                  >
                                  > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                                  >
                                  > Thank you,
                                  >
                                  > Taylor Norrish

                                • tay199
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 28 12:12 PM
                                    Thank you very much for the specific feedback.

                                    > 4. At that same URL you can click on a party, but nothing seems to
                                    > happen if you do

                                    Working on this, ASAP.

                                    > 5. If there are 0 govit members in a district, how could you get a
                                    > count of how many agree or disagree? I'm not totally clear on that
                                    > stat, for instance, I'm looking at Wayne Gilchrest, District 1, MD

                                    :o Working on this ASAP.

                                    > 6. On login page, provide a link for a new registrant

                                    Nice point!

                                    > 7. Great site, but not exactly enamored with the name "govit" It'll do.

                                    Yeah, I was thinking like... taking control... governing the US. I'm
                                    glad it's ok.

                                    > 8. Are you willing to share your congressional map? I got bolluxed
                                    up last year when working with flash and congressional districts
                                    because my maps had too darned many points on the boundaries. Looks
                                    like you've got a terrifically generalized file. Fast loading, and good.

                                    Yes, I'm planning to open it up, but may take a little while while we
                                    finish debugging. What is your website?

                                    I ran into the same problem of "too darned many points". I used this
                                    tool, and seems to have worked great http://www.mapshaper.org/

                                    Thanks again.

                                    Taylor

                                    > On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 8:19 PM, tay199 <tay199@...> wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                                    > >
                                    > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                                    > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                                    > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                                    > >
                                    > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                                    > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                                    > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                                    > > so I made govit.
                                    > >
                                    > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                                    > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                                    > >
                                    > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                                    > >
                                    > > Thank you,
                                    > >
                                    > > Taylor Norrish

                                  • Jeff Fischer
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 28 12:16 PM
                                      As for developers, I recommend myself.   Assuming you read my last e-mail, I have an interest in the topic and I have very capable developers/designers who work for me.

                                      You're welcome to e-mail me offline if you would like to discuss your project further Tiffiniy.  It may fit into the scheme of my current facebook application under development, which could work out very well and I would be open to discussing.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Jeff

                                      To: govtrack@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: tay199@...
                                      Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:58:37 +0000

                                      Hi Tiffany,

                                      One of my favorite resources to find programmers is...
                                      Programmermeetdesig ner.com. For govit, I used the company
                                      http://www.winitsof tware.com/

                                      Hmmmm advice... Partners could help, especially with complimentary
                                      skill sets (designer/programme r/visioneer) . I think choosing a LAMP
                                      architecture would be a good move too.

                                      Taylor

                                      --- In govtrack@yahoogroup s.com, "tiffiniy cheng`" <tycheng@... > wrote:

                                      > hi,
                                      >
                                      > I was wondering who you recommend for building websites. I was
                                      impressed by
                                      > the site. I am building a website around legislation also and wanted
                                      some
                                      > good advice. Thanks,
                                      >
                                      > Tiffiniy
                                      >

                                      > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Jeff Fischer <JeffreyMFischer@ ...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > The fact that it was built with an offshore development company
                                      is only
                                      > > moderately amusing. ;)
                                      > >
                                      > > Jeff
                                      > >
                                      > > ------------ --------- ---------
                                      > > To: govtrack@yahoogroup s.com
                                      > > From: tay199@...
                                      > > Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:19:20 +0000
                                      > > Subject: [govtrack] Launching a New Site
                                      > >
                                      > > I'm launching my site govit.com.
                                      > >
                                      > > It's similar to govtrack.us, having legislation. New features are
                                      > > voting on legislation, and sending your vote directly to your
                                      > > representatives (I think that's the really cool feature).
                                      > >
                                      > > I got the idea when I tried to contact my reps about the Net
                                      > > Neutrality Bill. I got frustrated that I didn't know who my reps
                                      > > where, how to contact them... I just wished it could all be easier...
                                      > > so I made govit.
                                      > >
                                      > > I found govtrack.us along the way and really appreciate the
                                      > > inspiration, and tips I've received you've given me.
                                      > >
                                      > > Hope you like it, and any feedback is greatly appreciated :)
                                      > >
                                      > > Thank you,
                                      > >
                                      > > Taylor Norrish

                                      > > Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge
                                      with star
                                      > > power. Play
                                      now!<http://club. live.com/ star_shuffle. aspx?icid= starshuffle_ wlmailtextlink_ jan>

                                      > --