Re: Advertising ethics and ramifications question

  • tyhartwig
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 23, 2008
      I don't see any reason why not. I do have some considerations
      though. If at all possible you should shop around for companies that
      you can justify being sponsored by. I don't think a fox news
      sponsorship or a moveon.org would be in line with your govtrack
      philosophy ... although if you did them both side by side ;).
      My second consideration would be, if they are mainly looking for page
      rank, you can limit the size of the link to something very small and
      still get around the same money. Personally, I hope you get enough
      revenue to expand the site and hire staff! Maybe some paralegal to
      complete the bills that ammend other bills "strike sec a216 etc",
      some folks to educate about the basics of legislation, or some
      advertisement for govtrack! Which brings me to another thought ...
      do you have a link banner?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
        All,

        I've continued to read all of your responses very carefully --- it's all
        been very helpful.

        tyhartwig wrote:
        > If at all possible you should shop around for companies that
        > you can justify being sponsored by. I don't think a fox news
        > sponsorship or a moveon.org would be in line with your govtrack
        > philosophy ... although if you did them both side by side ;).

        Heh, I like that side by side idea.

        No, actually, I definitely don't have time to shop around for money in
        the first place. The ad that will go online is pretty neutral, and
        seemingly respectable.

        > Personally, I hope you get enough
        > revenue to expand the site and hire staff!

        Now that would be something!

        > Maybe some paralegal to
        > complete the bills that ammend other bills "strike sec a216 etc",

        You'd think this would be something the government would do, right? As
        I've read, Congress has cut lots of funding for actually figuring out
        what the law *is* (which is, by looking carefully at how each new thing
        amends old things, etc.)

        > do you have a link banner?

        Well, I can make one:
        http://www.govtrack.us/media/linklogo.png