Re: [govtrack] Advertising ethics and ramifications question

  • Nancy Berry
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
      Jeff, you said everything I was thinkin, but you said it a hundred times better.
      And yes, at least two of us still read this:)

      Nancy Berry

      From: donnak.sharing@ gmail.com
      Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:37:52 -0600

      It could serve two purposes one to your visitors and of course secondly to you
      Finances. There is nothing wrong with making a few bucks doing something you
      Like and enjoy for a good purpose.
      Hugs
      donnaK
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2008
        Josh,

        I think it's a great idea. $250/month is definitely not much and it will help you with your operational costs. In terms of ethics, there's really nothing much to say. The site is free for all of us to use. Why should anyone complain? I for one will only ignore them anyway :) However, if you wish, only allow ads that you like and you know is good for the public. Whatever your decision is, I'm sure everyone will agree with me in saying that, "We're right behind you." You've done a phenomenal job with this site and putting in ads won't damage the quality of the site (unless you start posting so many of them :)

        tc
        francis

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 22, 2008
          Thanks for everyone's comments!

          Jeff Fischer wrote:
          > I'm also assuming
          > they proposed the $250/mo instead of you proposing that amount.

          Actually it started at $150. I said I didn't really have time to deal
          with business things, and lo and behold he upped the offer and I started
          listening.

        • tyhartwig
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 23, 2008
            I don't see any reason why not. I do have some considerations
            though. If at all possible you should shop around for companies that
            you can justify being sponsored by. I don't think a fox news
            sponsorship or a moveon.org would be in line with your govtrack
            philosophy ... although if you did them both side by side ;).
            My second consideration would be, if they are mainly looking for page
            rank, you can limit the size of the link to something very small and
            still get around the same money. Personally, I hope you get enough
            revenue to expand the site and hire staff! Maybe some paralegal to
            complete the bills that ammend other bills "strike sec a216 etc",
            some folks to educate about the basics of legislation, or some
            advertisement for govtrack! Which brings me to another thought ...
            do you have a link banner?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 26, 2008
              All,

              I've continued to read all of your responses very carefully --- it's all
              been very helpful.

              tyhartwig wrote:
              > If at all possible you should shop around for companies that
              > you can justify being sponsored by. I don't think a fox news
              > sponsorship or a moveon.org would be in line with your govtrack
              > philosophy ... although if you did them both side by side ;).

              Heh, I like that side by side idea.

              No, actually, I definitely don't have time to shop around for money in
              the first place. The ad that will go online is pretty neutral, and
              seemingly respectable.

              > Personally, I hope you get enough
              > revenue to expand the site and hire staff!

              Now that would be something!

              > Maybe some paralegal to
              > complete the bills that ammend other bills "strike sec a216 etc",

              You'd think this would be something the government would do, right? As
              I've read, Congress has cut lots of funding for actually figuring out
              what the law *is* (which is, by looking carefully at how each new thing
              amends old things, etc.)

              > do you have a link banner?

              Well, I can make one:
              http://www.govtrack.us/media/linklogo.png