Re: [govtrack] Announcing OGDEX

  • Joshua Tauberer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
      John DeBruyn wrote:
      > I just got over to http://ogdex.net for a quick look around.
      > Congratulations: What a robust wiki platform you have deployed for
      > OGDEX.NET.

      Oh, I should mention that I didn't set that up single-handedly. Chris
      Lundberg of Democracy in Action and Daniel Bennet of dotgov.info, and several others, were involved in the joint effort.

    • TML
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
        Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
        wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
        with such a beast?

        tom
        ::: www.xmiinc.com :::
        Web programming, content integration, and original music/sound design
        for Advertising and the Arts.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
          Congratulations on OGDEX's debut! I'm in.

          I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
          UniVerse DB. You're certainly welcome to any/all -- that's why
          they're there. If you find them useful, lift as you like or I can
          cross-post. Whatever I can do to assist, please call on me.

          Best!
          Bill
          http://pythia.progressivenation.net
          et al.

          --- In govtrack@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Tauberer / GovTrack
          <tauberer@g...> wrote:
          (snip)
          > - Joshua Tauberer
          >
          > http://taubz.for.net
          >
          > ** Nothing Unreal Exists **
        • Joshua Tauberer
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
            TML wrote:
            > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
            > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
            > with such a beast?

            Yeah, and, for instance, I don't put much trust in Wikipedia. But, the
            raw data to be exchanged won't be in the wiki. The things that will be
            on the Wiki are just descriptions of standards, communication between
            visitors, and things like that.

            Bill wrote:
            > I have a load of snippets on Pythia for retrieving XML chunks from the
            > UniVerse DB.

            Great. You should post a link to it somewhere on the wiki where it
            makes sense.

          • Jeremy Dunck
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
              On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:31:35 -0500, TML <tlinder@...> wrote:

              > Pardon my ignorance here, as I only have working knowledge of what a
              > wiki is, but aren't there concerns for maintaining data/info integrity
              > with such a beast?

              Yes, there are concerns... If you think of Wikipedia as a success,
              you're likely to discount those concerns.

              Wikis are editable by anyone, but they also have revision histories,
              which allows anyone to revert changes someone else makes.

              Which makes it pretty damage resistant. But it's conceivable that
              malicious users could introduce incorrect info, and it would not be
              caught by the other users.

              There's a raging debate going on over whether Wikipedia should be
              trusted as a second source. I don't want to get into that here.

              Short version: wikis are great for collaboration, and seem to do well
              in general. Whether they are trustworthy without independent
              verification on topics of politics and power is a separate question.

              As for me, I wouldn't tend to trust information on such topics from
              -any- single source. So to me, a wiki in this context is all upside.